Copper HERMS build. I

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curly79 said:
Im thinking if the return from the Hex is 65 but the water sitting in the MT is 60 then by rights I'm mashing at 60 which is far from ideal. Just trying to get my head around this before I kick the old girl into gear and start producing sub standard beer?

Bloody phone, sorry. I was referring to his post above. It appeared to me that he might have been thinking that if his mash is sitting 5 C lower than the exit temp, then he might set it higher (ie 70C to get a mash of 65 C). I was trying to say (on my phone again so kept it short) that if the liquid of the mash runs through the hex at 70C then so do a majority of the enzymes that are suspended in it.

Jack of all biers said:
Bloody phone, sorry. I was referring to his post above. It appeared to me that he might have been thinking that if his mash is sitting 5 C lower than the exit temp, then he might set it higher (ie 70C to get a mash of 65 C). I was trying to say (on my phone again so kept it short) that if the liquid of the mash runs through the hex at 70C then so do a majority of the enzymes that are suspended in it.
That's exactly what I was saying. Advice taken. Thank you. I'll leave the temp control set at Mash temp and insulate the Tun[emoji106][emoji482]. Thanks again for for input gents.

Hate to be a buzz kill but the commonly used term 'thermal mass' is a bastardised term coined by air con mobs. What we are referring to is latent heat capacity - JOAB I disagree with the assertion we are not adding volume but mass. Same thing to me - adding to the heat capacity of the system. Different materials have different specific heat capacity with water being different to grains per unit of mass. Does this differentiation matter though? I think so.
Back to splitting hairs...

Hey buzz kill. Not so sure it comes from the air con mobs, but could be wrong. Here's splitting hairs with you... :D

"Scientifically, thermal mass is equivalent to thermal capacitance or heat capacity, the ability of a body to store thermal energy. It is typically referred to by the symbol Cth and measured in units of J/°C or J/K (which are equivalent). Thermal mass may also be used for bodies of water, machines or machine parts, living things, or any other structure or body in engineering or biology. In those contexts, the term "heat capacity" is typically used instead."

It's only from Wikipedia, so not a "real" source, but well, they can be right sometimes, especially when they say we are both right :beer:

EDIT-
TheWiggman, on 06 Mar 2017 - 9:51 PM, said:
JOAB I disagree with the assertion we are not adding volume but mass. Same thing to me

To get technically correct what I should have said was that water alone and water with grains have different masses and densities that affect the thermal mass (heat capacitance). I bet Curly79 and all other readers understood what I originally said better, but as I said I was on my mobile and keeping it short so apologies for incorrect terminology. By the way, Mass and Volume are not the same.

https://youtu.be/kWpgynOgkVE

Back