Coopers Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
beer fermented with coopers yeast will be better than tipping out 20L of wort. what do you mean by "nothing" no airlock activity? is the fermenter lid screwed on REALLY tight? is there a foamy froth on the top of the beer?

beer fermented with coopers yeast will be better than tipping out 20L of wort. what do you mean by "nothing" no airlock activity? is the fermenter lid screwed on REALLY tight? is there a foamy froth on the top of the beer?

...nothing! I haven't pitched it yet ...I've been waiting to see if it takes off! I've shaken it a few times and I'm pretty confident it's aerated etc.

The starter is in a capped plastic softdrink bottle ...and showing no signs of expanding, or foam/krausen (unless I shake it) ...

So, I getting a bit suspicious that nothing will happen.

On the other hand, I have a sachet of coopers dried yeast on standby ...or, for that matter, a US-56 ale.

I'm making Andrew's CPA clone ...

okay ...I wont panic just yet.

Just been reading a thread saying it can take 4-7days for a reculture to fire!

That's sort of good news??? I have 23L of "fresh wort" (no-chill cube) ready to go and I was hoping to pitch by tomorrow!

I've got a no starter ...

Drank and collected sediment from 5 pale ales. Added to 600mL starter and 48 hours later ...still nothing? :eek:

yep, hang on a bit yet. I just did one last week. If I remember correctly I pitched two long necks (got a very weird look from the girl at the local bottlo when I asked her not to invert/shake up the bottles when she scanned them!!!!!!!) worth on a Tues. night and it didn't really fire up until Sat. morning. When it did fire it had the bigest krau I've had on a starter, about the same height as the starter itself.

okay ...I wont panic just yet.

Just been reading a thread saying it can take 4-7days for a reculture to fire!

That's sort of good news??? I have 23L of "fresh wort" (no-chill cube) ready to go and I was hoping to pitch by tomorrow!

Righto! ...Crisis averted!!! Arrived home this arvo to a football shaped pet bottle :eek:

It took me twenty minutes to gradually release the pressure enough to avoid a beer-foam shower!

Righto! ...Crisis averted!!! Arrived home this arvo to a football shaped pet bottle :eek:

It took me twenty minutes to gradually release the pressure enough to avoid a beer-foam shower!

I'm glad it's finally taken off.
I am a little intrigued as to why it took so long.
:(
I normally use three stubbies which are stored upright at room temp so they're crystal clear when decanted and drunk and there's ample yeast in the bottom of the stubbie.
Once the temp of the starter and the stubbies have equalised the stubbies are just pitched straight into a one litre starter (made with 100g DME). It gets a good shaking as often as possible and is pretty much always away in 36 hours. Temp is normally held at a minimum of 20C.
I've done it many, many times with very consistent results.
:beer:

I'm glad it's finally taken off.
I am a little intrigued as to why it took so long.

Bubbling away nicely in the fermenter now @ 18C ...does anyone know what the limits of this yeast are in terms of temps? I gather above 20C can be asking for trouble?

And one of my original questions ...is there a difference between the coopers dried yeast and the re-culture?

Bubbling away nicely in the fermenter now @ 18C ...does anyone know what the limits of this yeast are in terms of temps? I gather above 20C can be asking for trouble?

And one of my original questions ...is there a difference between the coopers dried yeast and the re-culture?

Big difference IMHO. In fact I fail to see how they even call the dried jobbie "Cooper's yeast".
No flavour, no character, bullet-proof and bland. I've never tried in anything other than the kits it but it may work as a poor man's US-56 substitute in something requiring dryness but with character still coming from hops or malts. Not to be disparaging of US-56. It's very good and my favourite dry yeast.

I genuinely like the reculture in the right brews. Characterful and fruity.
Personally I apply a strict rule. 18C maximum. 18C minimum.
From memory "Banana-is-okay-in-the-right-weizen-Brauluver" likes to run it lower... about 16C.
Certainly above 20C you'll get banana esters and the longer or higher it runs over 20C the longer they take to disipate.
There is a burst of diacetyl which seems to arrive in the first few weeks after bottling but fades after about a month. I've tried a diacetyl rest but it doesn't prevent the bottle diacetyl.
All good if the temps are kept sane.

Edit: Fixed confusing wording.

Cooper's dried homebrew yeast is a different strain from Cooper's ale yeast. Not too sure what yeast the dried homebrew one is, but its rather plain from what I gather (and probably very badly handled being taped to Cooper's tins).

It's been well noted that above 18C you get banana splits, and over 22C you'll never get the smell of fresh bananas out your fermenter :)

-Adam

Racked to cube after 8 days. Beer finished @ 1.004 ...kept under 18C at all times ...yeast kept working even down to below 5C in the fridge prior to kegging!

No Bananas .......... ;)

Back