Coopers Yeast For Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butters73

Reaction score
G'day, doing a toucan stout (coopers stout & dark ale, maybe 250g brown sugar) and was going to reculture a couple of coopers pale ale stubbies. Am wondering if coopers use the same yeast in their best extra stout as they do in the pale ale? am I better off tracking down a best extra stout tallie to reculture? Also, would one carbo drop per 750ml tallie be enough carbonation, I plan on letting this age at least six months before trying so would 2 carbo drops settle down to a nice carbo level in that time? ta for any advice. Kingo

Dunnow about the carb drops, but the yeast in coopers best extra is the same as the pale ale yeast.

The Pale Ale yeast will work fine. Im currently drinking a keg made from Coopers Dark ale can and a kilo of malt that I made using yeast cultured from Dr Tims, dry hopped with 5g POR hops.

For such an easy brew its excellent.

I had a read of that site and was wondering if they use a different yeast in mild ale also as its available in tinnies and tastes almost the same as stubbies.

Still doesn't make any sense lowtech :)

Not sure of any differences in the priming/repitching process between pale and tim's.

I'm not sure what your problem is, you seem to be very aggressive and demanding of people to have the whole story or nothing. I won't bother contributing any further if I'm going to get berated.

G'day, doing a toucan stout (coopers stout & dark ale, maybe 250g brown sugar) and was going to reculture a couple of coopers pale ale stubbies. Am wondering if coopers use the same yeast in their best extra stout as they do in the pale ale? am I better off tracking down a best extra stout tallie to reculture? Also, would one carbo drop per 750ml tallie be enough carbonation, I plan on letting this age at least six months before trying so would 2 carbo drops settle down to a nice carbo level in that time? ta for any advice. Kingo
Don't recall how many carbonation drops they recommend per 750ml...is it 2?
But as for a toucan stout, from personal experience i've found that stouts/dark ales have a tendancy to be gushers, unless you really give them time to ferment out.
You may want to extend your fermentation time just in case, or use a little less carbonation in the bottle.
Last thing you want to find 6 months down the track your carefully aged beer being a gusher...i know that pain!

ummm, back to the question?

Adding some flesh to what Muggus says above.

If this was October and you were going to store for 6 months, I'd say use one carb drop. I find over the hotter summer months the beers keeps working and two drops means gushing beers.

Being autumn / winter the temperature you are going to store them in makes a difference. They normally recommend two drops and its my opinion only, two carb drops may be the go.

The rider - all things being equal. I've done a few toucans and always get a high final gravity (+1.12s). I have wondered whether the yeasts have given up the ghost before time (using the kit yeasts). If you use a yeast that really takes the sugars down (Nottingham) you may break 1.010. Now the reason I say that is that if 'true" final gravity isn't reached, there are too much fermentables added with the priming sugar , hence over carbed bottles. If I ever have a higher FG than I would of thought, I've always used less priming sugars. Let your FG be the guide between one or two carb drops.

Kegging now has solved my problem (but not yours).

I've got some recultured CPA yeast sitting in the fridge waiting to feast on a Coopers type stout wort in the next week or 2. Its an english type yeast IMO so works well in this style.

As for carb drops, i much prefer a lower carbed stout (hell, most ales in general) so would vote for only 1 carb drop per bottle.

Cheers
DrSmurto

As it happens I have a Coopers Irish Stout kit that's just about ready to rack to secondary. I used the yeast harvested from a CSA longneck and it went off like a cracker. Big thick krausen, wort temp soared and the fridge was working hard to keep it down. Not sure yet if that's a good thing, but I've enjoyed the experiment.

As for carb drops, i much prefer a lower carbed stout (hell, most ales in general) so would vote for only 1 carb drop per bottle.

The reason I voted for 2 is, IMO, coopers best extra is pretty "carbed". Although maybe I'm confused because the head is so substantial.

The reason I voted for 2 is, IMO, coopers best extra is pretty "carbed". Although maybe I'm confused because the head is so substantial.

As it happens I have a Coopers Irish Stout kit that's just about ready to rack to secondary

I've got some recultured CPA yeast sitting in the fridge waiting to feast on a Coopers type stout wort in the next week or 2.

Interesting. Linked questions

Braufrua, I have your recipe for the Coopers style FES, what would expect the FG to be using recultured Coopers yeast ?

Grant, what is the FG of ypours now ?

DrS, what FG would you expect to get down too ?

Sorry for the pop quiz kids, just keen to do same soon. A Coopers style FES which is my favourite bottled dark beer.If I put these details in my notes now, I won't lose them later !

I bottle in german 500ml bottles and when I have used carbonation drops, a single drop gives plenty of fizz (what I would call the right level for a summer pale ale). For my tastes, I would want a little less carbonation in a stout, so one drop in a 750ml bottle would be ideal.

Cheers,

Rob

Head retention isnt all about CO2 tho, the malts play a big part. I brew mainly english ales and at low carbs i pour big thick heads that cause beautiful lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass and i dont use wheat malt or carapils!

Last night i poured ruddles county into a glass and it had a nice big fluffy head on it and its damn near flat! Same with all bottled english ales i buy. It seems far too many ppl equate the size and stamina of the head with how much fizz the beer has. I find most fizzy aussie beers have woeful head retention!

FGZ - beersmith tells me i should expect an OG of 1.068 and an FG of 1.016 but i suspect the coopers yeast will get it down lower than that. I have 1/3 of a yeast cake worth of slurry to pitch and will be fermenting at the lower end of the spectrum 16-18.

Head retention isnt all about CO2 tho, the malts play a big part. I brew mainly english ales and at low carbs i pour big thick heads that cause beautiful lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass and i dont use wheat malt or carapils!
So how do you get your beautiful head? I've decided on a policy of 100g of wheat in evey brew. :)

FGZ - beersmith tells me i should expect an OG of 1.068 and an FG of 1.016 but i suspect the coopers yeast will get it down lower than that. I have 1/3 of a yeast cake worth of slurry to pitch and will be fermenting at the lower end of the spectrum 16-18.
I'll have to look at my notes to see what my FG was. 'course it depends what I mashed at too.
The stout has a lovely creamy mouthfeel too so maybe FG was high.
Anyway, no point in speculating. I'll look up my notes tonight!

Interesting. Linked questions

Braufrua, I have your recipe for the Coopers style FES, what would expect the FG to be using recultured Coopers yeast ?

Grant, what is the FG of ypours now ?

DrS, what FG would you expect to get down too ?

Sorry for the pop quiz kids, just keen to do same soon. A Coopers style FES which is my favourite bottled dark beer.If I put these details in my notes now, I won't lose them later !

Will take the first reading and check my notes tonight and let you know.

Back