Coopers Stout Yeast - Chunky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed that Coopers Stout has very chunky bits of yeast which float around the beer. All the other beers with yeast sediment are either cloudy, muddy or have a solid yeast sediment stuck to the bottom of the bottle.

Even the Coopers Pale Ale is cloudy/muddy while the Sparkling is cloudy & muddy with a tiny bit more chunks but not as much as the Stout.

How is this achieved? I presumed that all the standard Coopers ales used the same yeast. (Pale, Sparkling & Stout) Maybe I'm wrong?

If I was to harvest some yeast from the bottom of the Stout bottles would this chunky characteristic occur in my brew?

Thanks!

I would suggest this is due to the re-seeding of yeast before bottling, yielding more yeast in the bottle.

From my experience the ale range has similar amounts of yeast sediment in the bottles.

I would suggest this is due to the re-seeding of yeast before bottling, yielding more yeast in the bottle.

From my experience the ale range has similar amounts of yeast sediment in the bottles.

Yeah, All the ales seem to have the same amount of yeast... but seem to have slightly different physical characteristics from appearance.

So you are saying that they add fresh yeast to the Stout at bottling? If so is this the same type of yeast they ferment with and is the fermentation yeast filtered out? I always thought it was the original yeast used for bottle fermentation of coopers ales...

The yeast they bottle with is the same as the primary strain...this has been confirmed in other threads, from a smart lady (thanks Braufrau ;) ) who decided to get the info straight from the horses mouth. Frank at coopers responded to an email and confirmed that the yeast in the bottle is the same strain as primary. I do believe it is re-seeded though, to ensure consistancy and quality of the yeast for the bottle conditioning.

Latest posts

Back