Coopers Sparkling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete2501

Reaction score
My mate and I are well on track to making lots of beer.

We've done two batches of Coopers sparkling using the kit yeast. I made some changes to a few things. I started the yeast up before pitching. Used Powdered corn syrup and DLME for the first time. I'm a bit suspect about the quantity of dextrose I've added because the OG was pretty low. Only 1036 at 20 degrees and a Sparkling is meant to to have high ABV.

I followed the guide inside the pack and added 500g of DLME and 300g of dex to Batch #2 but I winged the other batch. We'll call this batch #1 and this batch had 200g of powdered corn syrup with 650g of dex.

The plan is to bottle one and keg the other.

Happy brewing :D

Picture_003.jpg

Picture_020.jpg

Sparkling has been one of my fave kit beers i have made. i just did it as per the cans instruction and it turned out very nice!

My favourite version has no dex or corn syrup,
followed the ingredients on the can but replaced the 300g of dex with 500g of additional dry malt.

I was explaining to my 11 year-old son that the broon coloured dme produced nice malty flavours and alcohol whilst
the white stuff just produced alcohol without additional flavour,
he looked at me like I was crazy and asked " why do you put the white stuff in all all? ,
why not just use two packets of the brown stuff? "

Came out about 6% abv and very nice sweet malty beer.

Did you use the can of liquid malt also that the instructions need?

My favourite version has no dex or corn syrup,
followed the ingredients on the can but replaced the 300g of dex with 500g of additional dry malt.

I was explaining to my 11 year-old son that the broon coloured dme produced nice malty flavours and alcohol whilst
the white stuff just produced alcohol without additional flavour,
he looked at me like I was crazy and asked " why do you put the white stuff in all all? ,
why not just use two packets of the brown stuff? "

Came out about 6% abv and very nice sweet malty beer.

Your son obviously has wisdom beyond his years.

I on the other hand do not. I only added the above and the tin of extract. I feel like I'm missing out now. I have a great big wash of dread crashing over me that I haven't added enough sugar.

Edit: Grammer

I was just thinking that. ;)

Personally, I found the result with the extra can to be somewhat cloying (and I'm not fond of heavily bittered beers, so this surprised me). My thought afterwards was that it would have been better kit, can, and dex, without the aditional ldme...

Pete, if fermentation is still in it's early stages, you could always disolve another 500g of ldme in about a litre of water, boil it for a minute to sanatise, cool it in a water bath, and add it in. That'll fix 'er. ;)

Cheers for the tip. I'll get on that after work.

If using Sugars suggest using Raw or Brown sugar just adds a little something...

Finished work late used some dextrose. I'll try the LLME next time.

It'll still be pretty good beer, so don't panic, just nicely bittered like a good English Bitter.

Nothing wrong with a Sparkling and Bitter Ale at 3.8% abv.
The can of LLME adds around 2% and lots of malty sweetness.

My tasting notes remind me that it came good after FOUR months in the bottles,
so be patient.

My latest APA came out overly bittered for my taste, but others love it,
just a range of different tasting beers my father-in-law says.

Sparkling Ale with LME and brown sugar, now I've got to put that on my TO Make list!

So I tasted the non LME brew and it's kinda cidery/bitter. That could be the yeast but who knows. Not me that's for sure.

The one with LME isn't as cidery. I can taste the alcohol but both of them probably need to condition in the bottle and keg for a good while.

I checked with http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWeb...p;idDetails=107 and I should have the FG at 1009 but I added the sugar after a day of pitching.

B#1 1.8 + 200 Corn + 1150 dex @ 24ltrs = Should have a FG of 1001 when tested this morning was 1012 - 1014. I'm guessing Batch #2 is similar.

B#2 1.8 + 500 DLME + 800 dex @ 24ltrs = should have a FG of 1009 which I'll have to test again tonight. It was 1020 2 days ago.

Would racking it to another fermenter get things going again? I pitched on Sunday so 5 days in and we're still going. I'm worried about the yeast cake playing with the brews flavours.

I used the exact same recipe as on the back of the can, turned out great (apart from the short life on the head).

But I only found to like it after it had been conditioning for around 3 months (in bottles).

So I tasted the non LME brew and it's kinda cidery/bitter. That could be the yeast but who knows. Not me that's for sure.

The one with LME isn't as cidery. I can taste the alcohol but both of them probably need to condition in the bottle and keg for a good while.

I checked with http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWeb...p;idDetails=107 and I should have the FG at 1009 but I added the sugar after a day of pitching.

B#1 1.8 + 200 Corn + 1150 dex @ 24ltrs = Should have a FG of 1001 when tested this morning was 1012 - 1014. I'm guessing Batch #2 is similar.

B#2 1.8 + 500 DLME + 800 dex @ 24ltrs = should have a FG of 1009 which I'll have to test again tonight. It was 1020 2 days ago.

Would racking it to another fermenter get things going again? I pitched on Sunday so 5 days in and we're still going. I'm worried about the yeast cake playing with the brews flavours.

Only rack if you know why. Getting things off the yeast cake due to bad flavours is really only a worry for a much longer time. You can rack for a secondary fermentation at this point but I wouldn't recommend it unless you've read up about it and think your brews would benefit. You can also rack for a stuck ferment but it doesn't sound like you have one. The last few points always take longer to drop. Relax, let it finish properly and you will thank me later.

When you hit final points, don't be in a rush to bottle. Yeast will still be active, cleaning up some of its by-products, offering you a cleaner, tastier brew. If you can wait long enough, leave it after primary for a couple of days, then wack it in the fridge for 2-7 days. Then bottle.

In order to see the difference why not try bottling 2-5 from each batch as soon its finished then do what I suggest for the rest? Then compare.

So I tried this beer over the weekend and it tasted more like water than beer. The taste was great but it just seemed diluted.

Judging from the pics it looks like my brews were around the 25 litre mark. Would this have made much of a difference and will leaving it longer give it stronger flavours?

So I tried this beer over the weekend and it tasted more like water than beer. The taste was great but it just seemed diluted.

Judging from the pics it looks like my brews were around the 25 litre mark. Would this have made much of a difference and will leaving it longer give it stronger flavours?

So you have bottled your brew? If so leave it for another 2 weeks and have another taste, I usually give my beers another 2 weeks if the taste is not to my expectation's

I kegged both and so that means no more free kegs. I only have 2 you see.

I'm keen to do something but the not knowing what will happen is the hard part. It really tastes like diluted beer.

Edit: Explained a the keg situation.

I kegged both and so that means no more free kegs. I only have 2 you see.

I'm keen to do something but the not knowing what will happen is the hard part. It really tastes like diluted beer.

Edit: Explained a the keg situation.

If you dont want to tip the brew down the drain, try dry hopping some hops in the keg.

I've got a Pale that's almost done and I want to have ready in 4 weeks so I might just empty one.

Back