Coopers Sparkling Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tasted one of these today. been only 6 days in the bottle. its got a sweet aftertatste. I know its only been 6 days but im not that happy so far. Will dry hop lots if i ever do one again. maybe it will be better in a few weeks.
Anyone else tried theirs.

cheers

Bloody hell Johnno :blink: six days and your judging it :ph34r:

Give it a month mate , it's sure as hell not going to taste as it does as it does now

I hope it will be good then , best of luck , by the way I have one in a keg aging too :unsure:

at 6 days there will be lots of priming sugar still present

And a beer primed with 100g of DME will not be flat

but I do not like fizz, it hides the taste of the beer
VB needs fizz, HB shoul not

Jovial Monk

ive run out of beer Batz. Thats why i'm trying it.
its carbonating fine though. I used 175 gms of dextrose.
That sweetish taste has been there all through the brew JM.
I only made it up as per the instructions and the temp was constant at around 22-24 C.
Oh well , i'm sure it will go down well :)

cheers

Thinking same as me wedge?
Lots of added malts , perhaps not fermented out fully

OG was 1050 or 1052. Cant find my notes at the mo.
FG was 1012.
1 week primary 2 weeks secondary. Surely there was nothing left to ferment out.

cheers

Hmmm "sweetish taste"

not wort sweetness, some other sweet taste? Bit puzzled

JM

maybe its my buds but i reckon its that candied sugar taste. i should point out its more of an aftertaste.
this definately needs more bitterness.
cheers

1012 sounds ok. I know the CAMRA guide recommends not priming at all but rather waiting the extra time for carbonation.

I reckon i might try this for any beer i planning on keeping for a while.

I know we all laugh about the overprimed exploding bottle (WMD) but that can be some dangerous stuff, especially if a kid was need it.

I had it happen to me once because i bulk primed at 1016 using the grumpys sugar guide, now i always use less and gain a (atleast i think) perfect carb. level even over a long period!!

You may have already been asked johnno but how warm did you brew it?

Maybe it just not as bitter as you expect your beers to be anymore. I know that some of the commercial bitter beers have a sweet taste about it for me now!!

johnno said:
ive run out of beer Batz. Thats why i'm trying it.
its carbonating fine though. I used 175 gms of dextrose.
That sweetish taste has been there all through the brew JM.
I only made it up as per the instructions and the temp was constant at around 22-24 C.
Oh well , i'm sure it will go down well :)

cheers

Wedge.

OG 1050-2, FG 1012 roughly a quarter of OG, so that sounds right

Westmalle, a 10% belg Trappist Tripel has candy sugar, and candy sugar is obvious in the aroma

Maybe you are more used to bitter beers, but that "sweetish taste" all the way from wort to beer makes me think it is something else

Some artificial sweetener??????

JM

Artificial sweetner crossed my mind JM. Ive only been brewing less than a year and ive tried mainly Coopers brews and none of them had had this taste.
I'm no expert so i'm just not sure.

cheers

Johnno
Have you tried a bottle of Coopers Sparkling Ale?

Perhaps the taste is what's expected , I may describe it as fruity
Just a thought

ahem
i near had a religious experience when i first tried this 20 or so yrs ago Batz.
Been my favourite since then. Eveyone that used to see me drinking it used to hang it on me bad.
Till they tried it.
Yes, I also describe it as fruity.
Havent tried yours yet have you?

was very tempted to put one in the fridge myself but one good thing about plastic bottles is you can tell when they are and when they arent carbonated. after six days they are only about half way there. hope i can wait another week.
i used dme to prime and used about a cup. ended up with about 18L and didnt want too much carbonation. also i noticed some undissolved dme left in the bottling bucket but it should be enought to worry about. ill know for sure in another week anyway.
joe

Give it two weeks or so Johnno

Yep I like this beer as well , perhaps I perfer the Pale Ale which came out much later on

Hanging out to give it a go

Batz
yep gotta wait on it to see what happens. what about your gravity reading samples? what did you think of the taste then.

joecast how about you?
did you taste this "sweetness" in any of your sample tastings?

I had 3 or 4 sample readings and it was there from the begining for me?

cheers

being just a kit I did'nt do a gravity sample , I did try a sip as I kegged , tasted nice if not a bit maltly
This will mellow , it really is not a hoppy type beer ,well not to my tastes anyway
And of course the real thing is not either

Latest posts

Back