Coopers Sparking Ale Kit Addition Reccommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM - noticed in your "in primary" you have Coopers Aussie Pale Ale.... what did you use with that and what yeast?

Thanks PM,
I was thinking of a steep with some pale ale malt and a bit of Carapils. I was just going to use the yeast that came with the kit but could culture up some from a bottle of CSA, I have a couple handy. Good reason to drink them I guess.

Cheers
Brad T :D

Steve said:
PM - noticed in your "in primary" you have Coopers Aussie Pale Ale.... what did you use with that and what yeast?
[post="80409"][/post]​

I should update my sig. It's in secondary now, waiting for my lazy arse to get up and keg it.

I used the kit yeast with 1Kg Light LME, 400g of DME, 250g of brown sugar and two plugs of EKG hops. I don't think it's really a Coopers kit any more :)

I've made that kit in the past on the Coopers bottle yeast with a kilo of DME and 300g of dextrose (or close enough) and some dry hops (can't recall what I had on hand at the time, Goldings or Hallertau most likely) and it was great.

I mostly brew part mashes, so when I put a kit on, I tinker them beyond all recognition :)

BRAD T said:
Hi Guys,
I am just about to have a go at a Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale kit that I was given, I have read thru this thread and was wondering how you guys that brewed this in various ways found the finished product. I tend to drink CSA when I am out somewhere or I have nothing ready at home( seems to happen all too often, might have to start doing 40 litre batches) does the kit turn out like this?
I like my own brews to have quite a lot of body and mouthfeel so usually add a bit of grain to a kit to boost it a bit, what thoughts on this?
Also I feel that CSA is not the same beer as it used to be, does any one else have this opinion. From memory it seems to have changed about the same time as they changed from the ring pull cap to a twistie. Is this just me?

Cheers
Brad T :party: :party:
[post="80357"][/post]​

The kit is nothing at all like a CSA on tap or bottle.For a start its too dark and crystaly.If you read the blurb on the can it says it is like the traditional ale or somesuch crap.IMHO you would get a closer CSA clone with a can of draught and a recultured yeast.

And yes the CSA now is not like it used to be.Its much thinner and less fruity on the nose and palate,bit with an FG of 1002 what can u expect :excl:

I heard/read somewhere that Coopers lost their original blended yeast strain when they moved premises, which probably accounts for the lost fruitiness. It is nothing like the Coopers I used to drink at the Uni bar way back in the 80's.

Is the current CSA really as thin as 1.002?

PostModern said:
I heard/read somewhere that Coopers lost their original blended yeast strain when they moved premises, which probably accounts for the lost fruitiness. It is nothing like the Coopers I used to drink at the Uni bar way back in the 80's.

Is the current CSA really as thin as 1.002?
[post="80440"][/post]​

Yeah I heard that story too,but wasn't sure if it was bonafide or just apocryphal :excl:

The fg figures i got from a conversation i had with tdh(GT) about CSA.

Addendum......I recently had a CSA that was 12 months past its best b4 date and it was very lagerlike and superdry(almost generic) but still quite drinkable in an interesting way.

Brauluver,
I don't know whyere yuo get your CSA But none that I have ever had have a Best before date. Mine only have a "Best After" date on them.

Cheers

They didn't 'lose' their strain in the move, but I think they did select down to a single strain at some point. You can still get a good ester profile from it depending on how you treat it.

Back