Coopers Pale Ale 3.5%

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotboost

Reaction score
Fermination stopped after 3 days , which i was told is normal for coopers by lhbs.. Anyway I waited 10 days b4 bottled which I have just done 3.5% . Good colour but smelt a bit tangy , Hopefully will improve with age.
Is this normal with pale ale to come out so low alc?? The stuff in shops is 4.7% , I dont expect to be the same but Im not into lite beer either....

Help

what recipe did you use? cant really comment till we know what you put into your fermenter

Sorry , Umm coopers pale ale can
1Kg #10 brew enhancer
std yeast about 22-24c

Sorry , Umm coopers pale ale can
1Kg #10 brew enhancer
std yeast about 22-24c

I had this problem recently with a brew, couldnt work out what happened. I kegged it all, was to scared i would get bottle bombs

Assuming you made up to 20-23L, you should have got a full strength beer with a final grav around 1.010.

My last brew stopped after a couple days, after leaving for a couple more days and still no action. I gave the thing a good shake (not sure if it is advisable :( ) but it kick started the yeast again and they fermented for another couple of days. Others may be able to give better advice.

Hope it turns out well.

yeah it started at 1040 and finshed just on the line of 1010
+ .5 % for priming.
Lhbs said coopers yeast normally go flat out for a few days then stop. i had same constant reading for 4 days so I guess it wasnt go move ..
time well tell

I think you've worked it out incorrectley - you should have a 4.5% (alcohol by volume) beer. I think you may have work it out as a percentage by weight, because that works out to be 3.5%, but we normally use percentage by volume.

yeah it started at 1040 and finshed just on the line of 1010
+ .5 % for priming.

hotboost with your readings you will be sitting closer to 4.6%

Fermination stopped after 3 days , which i was told is normal for coopers by lhbs.. Anyway I waited 10 days b4 bottled which I have just done 3.5% . Good colour but smelt a bit tangy , Hopefully will improve with age.
Is this normal with pale ale to come out so low alc?? The stuff in shops is 4.7% , I dont expect to be the same but Im not into lite beer either....

Help

Try this Hotboost

http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/wa.asp?idWeb...p;idDetails=106

;)

Ive been told - by a some what quirky HBS staff - that with ales, 3 or 4 days in, it does no harm to give your fermenter a good shake or, using a sanitised spoon giving it a good stir (though this increases the likelyhood of infections) get some of the yeast back up into the wort to grab all the sugars they might not have found.

ive done it to a couple of brews without any damage being done and i cant see how it would hurt the beer so im probs gonna keep doing it. insures a good solid ferment.

just an idea, good to know your beer is strong enough for ya :p though

happy brewing

I wouldn't be recommending getting in amongst the fermenter at this late stage.

I too recently did a Coopers Pale Ale which finished fermenting after only about 3-4 days, so seems like a common trend with Coopers. Mind you, will find out the result when she's ready to drink in another few days, but all seems good so far.

I have had Coopers yeasts run their course over as little as 2 days and as many as 8, this depends on a bunch of factors, of course.

The readings that you have given indicate that this is a full strength beer, and the temperature range is fairly narrow, sounds like this is an OK brew to me.

Let the bottles mature and give it a go in a few weeks.

EK.

Hi mate next time you do a brew pale ale I find around 18deg is fine and makes a great beer.
And 1010 around the 4.5% mark.
The ales are a good beer.
So hope tastes good.

Back