Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I 've used a Morgan's Extra Pale extract 1.5kg for my last 2 brews (Morgan's Golden Saaz and Brewcraft Pilsner) and found that it was very light in colour and the head was fine.

I might even attempt the CMC with this as well.

daniel

put in some 65C water for about 45 mins then boiled for 30 mins with a bit of kit goo or dry malt (maybe about 100g or so), and you can boil up your hops for the last 15 mins of the boil to add some aroma

Wheat malt eh? If I boil that will as you suggested will it get darker like LDME does? As would like to keep the beer as light (in colour) as possible.

JCG.

No it won't go too dark. If you're using the dry stuff you should only need to boil for 30 mins - adding the hops at 15 mins (maybe about 20g of hops to start with). You're only trying to add the head retention, so using dextrose for the rest of it will mean you still have a light coloured beer. But the one time i tried the MC kit i found it was way darker than Corona, even with just brew enhancer 1.

Whats a good hop variety to use in this style of beer. Im either going to try a Hallertau or Pride of Ringwood, but what are some suggestions. Ive heard cascade been thrown around. what type of flavours would that add to the brew? Any others that i might consider? Cheers.

Boy, there sure seems to be alot of interest in this particular kit on this thread.

Can anyone tell me what the heck the brew enhancer actually is? I've looked at some Coopers kits in my grocery store (in Canada) and I haven't come across them and several kits of theirs ask for it.

Drews idea about adding some chilis is very interesting and something I'd like to try. A friend did this with pickles once and they were wickedly good.

Up here Corona is popular in mexican food restaurants and in the summer. A wedge of lemon or lime is nearly always dropped in the bottle when you get it at a restaurant. My wife and I enjoyed the novelty of it until reading that the practice is a way of hiding "off" beer. A clear bottle in a hot climate... you can see why this might have become a habit. Personally, I don't think the beer is that remarkable. But I sure like the clear ceramic labelled bottle, the wedge of lime, and notion of the beer with spicy food. And on a hot day. I think they've done very well selling the "ritual" of it to people. I find that dropping some lemon in any beer that I'm not fond of makes it more drinkable.

I'm dying to hear more people discuss their batches of this stuff. Especially brewing with chilies. I had no idea that was feasible.

A very interesting thread.

Boy, there sure seems to be alot of interest in this particular kit on this thread.

Can anyone tell me what the heck the brew enhancer actually is? I've looked at some Coopers kits in my grocery store (in Canada) and I haven't come across them and several kits of theirs ask for it.

Drews idea about adding some chilis is very interesting and something I'd like to try. A friend did this with pickles once and they were wickedly good.

Up here Corona is popular in mexican food restaurants and in the summer. A wedge of lemon or lime is nearly always dropped in the bottle when you get it at a restaurant. My wife and I enjoyed the novelty of it until reading that the practice is a way of hiding "off" beer. A clear bottle in a hot climate... you can see why this might have become a habit. Personally, I don't think the beer is that remarkable. But I sure like the clear ceramic labelled bottle, the wedge of lime, and notion of the beer with spicy food. And on a hot day. I think they've done very well selling the "ritual" of it to people. I find that dropping some lemon in any beer that I'm not fond of makes it more drinkable.

I'm dying to hear more people discuss their batches of this stuff. Especially brewing with chilies. I had no idea that was feasible.

A very interesting thread.

Grasshopper, an article on chili beer:

http://www.byo.com/feature/605.html

Cheers
Steve

Grasshopper, information on brew enhancers

Brew enhancer 1 (coopers) - dextrose and maltodextrin
May also be called Body Brew
Probably 400g Maltodextrin(Cornsyrup).600g Dextrose
Brew Enhancer 1 improves the body, mouthfeel and head retention of your favourite brew without altering the flavour.

Brew enhancer 2 (coopers) - dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt
May also be called Brew Booster
Probably 250g Maltodextrin(Cornsyrup).250g Light Malt.500g Dextrose
Brew Enhancer 2 improves the flavour, body, mouthfeel and head retention of your favourite brew.

Most of this from http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.php?pid=7

i'm bottling one of these tomorrow night so i hope it turns out I just used the packet yeast and brewers no 2 so i'll let you all know in a few weeks how it went!

Stupid question: how did you navigate to that page? I can't seem to find the submit review feature for some other kits I've made.

hi all,in the middle of fermenting the mecican cervarsa or what ever it is (corona) i used 1kg of 50/50 and added halletua hops (dont think ispelt that right either) and the yeast under the lid. Its been bubbling since saturday which is 5 days and there seems to be no raised scud like foamy crud you get on top of the beer while fermenting
is this normal for this brew?

aw yea i also used the dry enzyme

cheers kingveebee

Hi!

Just brewed the Coopers Mexican Cerveza (my second ever brew), using the can + yeast with 500g of LDME and 250g of dextrose made up to 20 litres, and adding a 12g Cascade hop teabag just before pitching yeast and making it up to 20 litres (aiming for 5% ABV). Brew temp stayed around 24 degrees (Adelaide is rediculously hot at the moment!).

Now, I just tasted it 5 days into the bottle and I am very impressed. Good body, good hopiness, tiny head (so far) and a reasonable alcohol kick! Nothing at all like Corona (but that's a good thing!). If it tastes this good at five days then I can't wait for Christmas/New Year!

mines been in the bottle a week, so it's only a week before a try, i can't wait first beer after a long brewing break!

anyone got any updates?? I bought a can of this the other day and will probably start it in a week or 2...

I have this sitting in a keg in the fridge.

I added a heap of lemon to mine. Boiled up lemon rind with the dex/malt for about 20 mins. Then threw 3 lemons in the fermenter with the wort.
It smelled really lemony when it was fermenting and I was a bit worried I was going to end up with lemonade. Tastes quite alright from the keg. Certainly no overpowering lemon flavours and pretty damn easy to drink.

Got some mates coming over on sunday so we will get into it properly then. I'll report back after that...

I must say the beer went down a treat...

probably a little too lemony on second taste. I would probably do something similar with a lot less lemon. Still a good beer for summer...

head retention is pretty non-existant. I am guessing this is due to the lemon juice that inevitably ended up in the beer.

oh well live and learn

I'm just sipping a toucan of the coopers version - it's not bad!

Fermented for about 10 days at 20C then crash-chilled (still in primary) to about 3C for a few days. Filtered and kegged Sunday night.

I didn't add any extras, this was a dump & stir of the worst order, but it is a perfectly drinkable summer beer for the heathens. Looks good in the glass and the bitterness balances out pretty well - I suspect that a single kit might be a bit bland by itself. Hell, the double kit is pretty bland.

This actually reminds a bit of a 'good' XXXX* - there is a hint of malty character there if you go looking for it, but not enough to frighten the rednecks.

*allow me to qualify that. When I was in Brissie once, ages ago, I actually had a XXXX that surprised me. I don't remember which 'version' it was, but it was surprisingly malty and I didn't mind it at all for a cheap beer. It certainly pi**ed all over VB. God I hope someone knows what I mean...

well i'm currently sitting down to my second tall boy of the coopers mexican cervesa and i'm pretty happy with it, it could do with a wedge of lemon but otherwise another week in the cupboard and she will be ripe for NYE!!!

mex.JPG

I love Corona, so I bought a can of Coopers Cerveza, hoping to get somewhere in the ballpark.

Made it up and loved the sample I took before bottling, although I too thought it could perhaps do with a stronger flavour. So I picked up another can and made it up to 18L to increase the flavour a little.

Now, some 2-3 months later, both brews are perfect lawnmower beers. Good head initially, moderate retention. Great if you just want to quench a thirst.

Unfortunately my taste has since matured a little more towards the hoppy and the malty. (Viva La Chimay)
I've tried hopping a Coopers Pale Ale and double hopping a Coopers Real Ale.

The Pale Ale is ok (actually gets good reviews from my colleagues) but wasn't what I had envisaged.
The Real Ale is a little young yet to decide - good aroma but I'm hoping the aggressive bitterness mellows a smidge.

I'm about a week away from my first All Grain...and gettin' antsy.... ;-)

Cheers all

Ended up with one of these by accident. Worked OK with a tin of light malt and hopped with a little PoR to counter malt. Used a coopers pale ale yeast starter and brewed at 18c. Not my favorate beer but suspect that if I followed instructions it would be down the sink.

Latest posts

Back