Coopers Lager Kit W/malt Extract Tin+ 500grams Be1

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieh

Reaction score
Hey guys, last week friday avo i got around to making a cooper lager with a tin of malt extract (similar size to the cooper lager tin) and added in 500 grams of BE1 and filled to 20 litres...started bubbling nicely after quite a few hours of anticipation, smell is/was great...im wanting to add in a few beer hops and had a look around at some recipes..looking at adding in 12 grams of mixed POR and cluster?? not 100% sure of quantities to put in and if to dry hop the POR or boil first and same with cluster as i havnt used them before in my beers so not sure of the bitterness/flavour they will extract into a lager....any ideas or directions would be helpful....dont want to over power the flavour of the beer but want some subtle hints of each hopin both aroma and flavour...
cheers.

Hey guys, last week friday avo i got around to making a cooper lager with a tin of malt extract (similar size to the cooper lager tin) and added in 500 grams of BE1 and filled to 20 litres...started bubbling nicely after quite a few hours of anticipation, smell is/was great...im wanting to add in a few beer hops and had a look around at some recipes..looking at adding in 12 grams of mixed POR and cluster?? not 100% sure of quantities to put in and if to dry hop the POR or boil first and same with cluster as i havnt used them before in my beers so not sure of the bitterness/flavour they will extract into a lager....any ideas or directions would be helpful....dont want to over power the flavour of the beer but want some subtle hints of each hopin both aroma and flavour...
cheers.

Did you boil the malt extract with hops? OR are you fermenting a sweet sugar solution of sorts atm?

nah i didnt, the malt extract went straight into the fermenter with the coopers tin and the BE1(and about 2 litres of boiling water), after 4 days im now wanting to add the beer hops in just to finish off the flavour of it...add a bit more aroma and texture to the beer

ah.. that makes more sense, for minute I thought you ditched the kit, got a can of liquid extract and forgot the hops! lol

That can of Liquid extract would add more sweetness to the brew than if you had, say.. added just sugar. So, might even be an idea to french press a small amount of hops, 10 grams or so to add back a little bitterness and add the other bits of hops for aroma (and some flavour too). You could also boild up an amount of dry malt extract and hop that and add the lot to your ferment.

From the one time I did somethign siimlar to what you are, the malt extract + kit + sugar/BE1 had a heavier mouthfeel and benefited from some extra hops that I boiled with the kit + malt + sugar, so I don't think you'd stuff anything up with a humble dry hop.

POR used in moderation as a dry hop/quick steep. I would not use more than about 5g and would try and get some flowers rather than using pellets. POR is your basic Aussie lager hop, apparently Cluster is used in XXXX.

i wouldnt be using the POR, it will be the bittering hop in the lager tin.

Boil 2 litres of water with your cluster hops, about 12gm for 10 mins, allow to cool in a water bath in sink and add to your fermenter. This will give a nice amount of flavour,

if you want to add some extra aroma you could also just throw some cluster loose into the fermenter at the same time, about 5gm.

Latest posts

Back