Coopers Kit Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eteo

Reaction score
Hi, I have the kit yeast from a Coopers IPA and Bitter (not Australian Bitter) because I changed the yeast (used Safale for those brews) and will be doing a Coopers Dark ale soon. Just wondering if I can use the kit yeasts from the IPA and the bitter are the same as that for the dark ale?

Thanks

All the same yeast eteo.

Coopers beers use the same Ale strain with all their Ales, cept for the Bavarian Lager.........which of course is a true Lager ( Yeasty's are Saflager )....and another which escapes my memory.

Why dont you use the Safale for the Coopers Dark........superior yeast in my book, less fruity outcomes....better flocculation, and its more neutral.

I find any Coopers yeasts to have more of a fruity outcome, and are less temperature tolerant. ;)

Just another quick question on this topic....
Is the yeast in the supermarket coopers kits, the same as the yeast in the premium kits?

I'm doing a premium pale ale kit at the moment with the yeast under the lid, I cocked up my brewing (something i wont bother explaining here) and ended up pitching the yeast at 36C. It went straight in the fridge though at was bubbling happily at 18C the next night.
For about 5 days it smelled great/normal, now its got a strong eggy smell to it, does it normally do this? I thought it was only characteristic of lagers?

eteo,

I have brewed a limited number of Coopers kits: a Stout; a Dark Ale; and their IPA. The first two probably have used an identical yeast (they shared, more or less, identical directions). However, my IPA instructions say that this kit uses a Pilsner style yeast.

With that in mind, if you do the Dark Ale I'd suggest using the yeast from the Bitter...

EDIT: I stand corrected. A Coopers rep wrote to me and indicated that the yeast that comes with the IPA kit is an ale strain. The instructions mention some things about pilsner yeast and so I, in youthful exhuberance, understood this to mean this kit was supplied with a pilsner yeast. I will stop blushing and go hide in a corner.

Sorry if my post created any confusion for anyone.

On the few occasions ive used kit yeast and the results have been mixed.

Interestingly the best and worst of my kit yeast attempts used exactly the same yeast from the same brand of kit.

My main concern is what condition these yeasts are under the lid - how long they've been sitting on the shelf and what sort of duress has the yeast experienced during its travels.

I've just bottled a standard Coopers Bitter with 1kg BE2 equivalent, a touch of Green Bullet and two packs of the Coopers yeast. It was quite drinkable straight out of the fermenter.

Seems to me that it may be worth trying a batch with two packs of yeast as an experiment - it may work nicely for you. It certainly increases the likelihood that you're going to get enough yeasties working for you.

There are two sets of numbers on the sachet. The packing date code will probably be different. If you've got the same yeast strain, I would expect the barcode to be the same across packets. There is another thread here which talks about how the different kit ranges come with different yeasts and reflects my own experience.

At the end of the day, I think it is pretty hard to get it wrong - I've only made two complete disasters and I would be at the upper end of the scale... :)

hi all
iv just made a coopers pale ale which tasted great if not a little bit light
i used the brew enhancer 2 as recommended
for my next batch of pale ale i was thinking about adding 250g of dextrose as wel as the brew enhancer 2 to boost the alcohol content. Would this b a good idea and wood it increase the alcohol content or just ruin the beers taste? Would 250g b the correct amount to add?
Also to give the beer more of a bite and taste more bitter would adding hopps b a good idea or arent hopps supposed to be used for ales?
cheers

Hiya youbrewty, welcome to the forums.

Adding 250g dextrose will do exactly what your after, it will kick the alcohol % up a bit, maybe 0.5% or so. Adding that much Dex will not affect the beers taste.
Hops are used in every beer except for a few rare specialty brews. The Coopers kits are pre-hopped(hopped malt extract). Adding extra hops is easy if you are able to boil your brew.

To do that, I recommend you check out this free book on the internet: How To Brew
It's an awesome wealth of free information, as is this forum.

Simo

Edit: fixed link

Back