Coopers kit label fell into fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northkit

Reaction score
Hi All,

For the first time after many kits some of the coopers kit label (20c coin size piece) decided to jump into my fermenter, it wasn't much but was enough to see while I was stirring and topping up.

It was a pain to try and get out with a spoon so I just left it, it all fell to the bottom pretty quickly.

I know it would have been better to take the label off but as mentioned I have done loads of these and its never happened before.

I'm not too fussed about risk of infection as it fell off with boiling water being poured over it, my main concern is if the piece of label will cause any off flavors.

I know it's a case of "wait and see" but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen and what the outcome was?

Cheers

Quite doubtful. Considering it's a small piece in a large comparitive volume of liquid. The only noticeable off flavours I can forsee would be attributed to infection, but then again I never had this happen to me before when I was kit brewing, so I'm speculating. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

Thanks Lads,

Surprisingly there's not too much online about this, thought it would be a very common mistake.
Hoping the Nelson Sav hops in this brew will destroy anything in it's path :)

Cheers

Northkit said:
Thanks Lads,

Surprisingly there's not too much online about this, thought it would be a very common mistake.
Hoping the Nelson Sav hops in this brew will destroy anything in it's path :)

Cheers
Possibly because they say to remove the label before opening....

yum beer said:
Possibly because they say to remove the label before opening....
When I was using kits the label disintegrated while it was sitting in hot water in the sink.

Wait til one of your mates says "There's something strange about this beer but I can't quite put a label on it..."

Bottling this week so will know in another 4 weeks if any glue pops up in the flavor, might end up with an extra buzz :blink:

Off topic question but does anyone know where I can find the exact ingredients for coopers kit cans? e.g grain/hops types and ratios.

I had a look around but couldn't find anything, I also tried beer smith with the coopers kit plug in but didn't see any specific ingredients,

Thanks

Had the same happen but did not make fermenter .Putting can on electric hotplate to warm up probably did not help.
Was also only 20 cent round piece.

Northkit said:
Bottling this week so will know in another 4 weeks if any glue pops up in the flavor, might end up with an extra buzz :blink:

Off topic question but does anyone know where I can find the exact ingredients for coopers kit cans? e.g grain/hops types and ratios.

I had a look around but couldn't find anything, I also tried beer smith with the coopers kit plug in but didn't see any specific ingredients,

Thanks
Wouldn't bank on getting this info. Unless someone here works at coopers and wants to risk their job?

Back