Coopers Green. Really That Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brown_hound

Reaction score
Armed with flamesuit, I dare to say...

I've truly been trying over the years to justify why CG is any good?!

Yes, yes, it's a matter of taste, blah, blah, blah.

I myself am a megaswill born, megaswill raised bloke.. Who through the enlightenment of sites such as this one have learned it's ALL CRAP.

Coopers Green, you'll all agree is the same shit with a slightly different aroma- albeit, with the yeast (delicious yeast) in the bottle...

Bottle fermentation or otherwise, I have to conclude that this was Coopers gimmick to lure people in and convince them their brew is "Different".

Please tell me I'm wrong, and explain what my uneducated palate is missing here!

Hound.

Coopers green is not an amazing beer. What is is though is a well made, basic beer that refreshes in the same way megaswill does (hot climate, cold beer etc).

Most megaswill is lager fermented at warm temperatures and served cold so most can't tell/don't care.

Have a coopers at 7 degrees and have a VB at 7 degrees. That's the difference (and **** trying to swirl the yeast up - I think that's so ccopers can cover their arse that everyone gets cloudy, yeasty beer. Tastes much better when treated like bottle conditioned HB).

Their stout and sparkling are also good.

Other good thing about them is that they are independent and the only mainstream brewery whose flagship beers are ales. Something a bit different.

Really a pretty fair question, fundamentally the beer you enjoy is the best beer for you and bugger any elses opinion of what you should brink.

We used to play a little game with Mega Swill (yes I am biased and love CPA); line up some glasses of a few of the available mainstream beers, making sure your/their favourite is included.
Have a taste of some Coopers; then try to pick the usual tipple from the pack.
It is really dam near imposable they are all so similar that most players dont do better than random.
At least the CPA has enough character to pick blindfolded.
MHB

Agree 100% with manticle - my brother drinks it and we had a 6 pack last time I saw him - I wouldn't buy it but was stoked that was the beer he had, far better than the norm. Agree also that the Sparkling and Stout are nice drops. In Sydney about 20 years ago the other brother lived 200 metres from a pub that had Coopers Sparkling on tap in Surry Hills (was rare back then in Sydney), we used to get so blind off it - he is such a pussy on the piss and used to call it 'tripping beer'. :lol:

it really is a crappy beer, the sparkling, is so much better. although that's crappy too. flimsy malt, yukky dirty POR aftertaste, shit head retention, and not enough bitterness. why do i drink it? every now and again you get a longneck of sparkling at a pub bottleo that nobody buys it from and it's been sitting there for a year getting nice and fruity and mellow. that only happens 2% of the time though. i drink coopers a) as a last resort at mainstream pubs and B) out of sentimental attachment i guess

Please tell me I'm wrong, and explain what my uneducated palate is missing here!
You're not missing anything in regards to your palate and preferences.

Personally I enjoy it more than Mega Swill and it's usually available in most locations, when Micro Brewed beer is not, it's also Australian owned, which is another + in my books compared to the usual pub-beer-choices.

I had 2 Corona stubbies a few hours ago. They were really quite good.

Take it for what it is. Aussie megaswill is made the way it is to maximise profits - that's what you're tasting - profit maximisation.

No late hops, lots of adjuncts, low FG, cheap hops, cheap malts ... just basically cheap shit.

Coopers is just VB with a different yeast. Fosters with a nip of pear juice and yeast.

Crap. But I like drinking it.

If it's brown and fizzy, I'll drink it.

Try it on tap and its a (slightly) different story.
Out of all my locals around me without have to travel, CPA is the only tap different from the usual.....it's a ******* godsend. Drinking it next to shite Aussie lagers and it has something going for it however minute that might be.

The Stout is magnificent.

I don't really like any of Coopers pale beers, however their mid to dark beers are pretty damn good. It's a shame they aren't available more places. I love when a pub is obviously carrying some kind of Coopers license and has more of their offerings available.

That said the Coopers Pale Ale (bottled) is better with food than other mega swill.

Out of a tap I find it pretty horrible, and I don't agree that it has the same thirst quenching as other swill. I would rather drink something like Super Dry at a BBQ in the hot sun than CPA. But then I'd rather drink a hell of a lot of other options before those too, including Coopers Extra Stout (yes even in the hot sun).

From experience, CPA used to taste better down south. Take what you may from it, I liked the CPA more than the Sparkling. The sparkling always tasted a bit too alcoholy to me, and I quite enjoy IIPAs and belgians.

CPA and Goat hightail were beers of choice in uni, I still love the goat :)

yeah I kinda decided that i thought it was crap and so i havent had one lately, but...

i had it on tap in adelaide a year or two ago, and was really quite surprised how enjoyable it was. like a really smooth, fresh, crisp, toned-down english bitter, without the firm bitterness.

otherwise im not very happy with it, i just get a dull mucky gunk sorta impression. generally lean toward the sparkling if im going down that route.

I was never really impressed with it until a few months back when I forgot I had half a tallie out and it warmed up to maybe 12deg before I remembered. That was a tasty glass of CPA.

i always wonder why coopers gets such a big rap around here. to me it tastes like dirty dishwater.the only thing i can think of is because its brewed as an ale in smallish quantitys some poeple like to believe it is somehow crafty. if i had the choice between a carlton draft and a coopers ill pick the draft every time(and that is in no way a praising of draft). that being said the yeast can make an extremely nice tasting beer if it is treated right in a homebrew situation.

I like the CPA, and most of the time it is my mega swill of choice, but i guess that is my palate, having said that i do like alot of mega swills, carlton draught and xxxx gold included, but then i do enjoy other more complex beers aswell. At the end of the day i guess i ddepends on the individuals palate.

Horses for courses I say!

Imagine a world where everyone else was just as obsessed with malt and hops as us.

It would make us so much less significant. We wouldnt be able to drop big beer making words like mash and sparge at BBQ's to impress strangers.
We would be mere mortal again!

One mans trash is anothers treasure...!

I like CPA, but I dont have high expectations of megaswills...I just accept them for what they are, and try to make my own beers sooper dooper.

I too find CPA to be nothing really exceptional, though I do much prefer it poured quietly like a home brew, I find the yeast is bloody horrid,
but give me a sparkling ale and its gotta be full of yeasties....taste like nothing without it and still one of my favs.

:huh: Man I could go a CPA right now. I could go just about any mega swill as a matter of fact. I haven't had a beer in a couple of weeks. <_<
I have 7 long necks of stout I bottled in August just sitting in my conditioning fridge. They just keep getting better so I'm trying to put them away for a year and see how they turn out. I might have one for Christmas as a treat.
Just waiting for the brew I have in the FV to finish so I can bottle. Come on hurry up. :(

I'll have a CPA or a toohies old if at a pub if there isn't much of a range (or if the range is VB, superdry, TED, Toohies new, cascade light, heineken, becks, stella ect)

I agree that it is a nice simple beer for australian conditions, but nothing special. I prefer my own beer but my beer is brewed for me.

The yeast is a monster though. I just bottled a split batch from a terribly wrong brewday. Part of the issue was that I mashed at 73*. One half was diluted down to 1070 with boiling water in the cube, the other was left at 1077. The coopers yeast fermented the 1070 wort down to 1010,where the s-33 fermented the 1077 wort to 1022!!! A serious attenuation difference!!!

If I am at a pub and its the only mega swill of choice then yeah, I will choose it over say a CUB owned beer. The only reason I have drunk it over the years is for the crown seal tallies!!! Its just not a favourite of mine and no matter how much water etc I drink on the same night all Coopers beer gives me a massive.... massive headache the next morning. I dont know what is is

Latest posts

Back