Coopers glass bottles - any good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looking at an old Pick axe and a new Coopers and the new one is definitely thinner in the neck,at least the ones I have.I used to have a lot of trouble with the screwtop ones,never had an issue with pick axe.

Never knew that Coopers used screwtops in Tallies. I have quite a few of the new ones and they are quite sturdy.

i think all the pickaxe I had were very old. definitely broke a few

They're definitely old - apparently in 1999 the Adelaide bottle co. stopped making them.

The coopers bottles now are certainly thinner, but only about 70 grams of glass... Probably in the neck and base

Tropical_Brews said:
Never knew that Coopers used screwtops in Tallies. I have quite a few of the new ones and they are quite sturdy.
Did you know they also had ring pull bottles?

When I first started home-brewing I recalled that my missus' old man had a heap of 750ml VB bottles he used to use for the annual pasta-sauce making extravaganza the eye-ties are right into. He'd stopped doing it a few years back 'coz it's hard work apparently and he was getting on.

So I snarfed 'em, and was bottling all my early kit beers in them. They are thin, light and have screwtops...and just to top it off I was using carb drops for the first few brews, which can carb a beer anywhere up to around 3 vols. Despite a few gushers, I never had one fail on me. In fact I've still got a few of those brews in my 'long term ageing' box and they're fine. Seems you have to make a mistake to get a bottle bomb...i.e. infected brew, too much priming sugar, or using bottles with faults in them.

I don't use them much any more, mostly just 'coz they're pretty horrible looking. Got my hands on a heap of Coopers tallies, and I mostly use 330/500ml bottles anyway.

I've got about 50 screwtop tallies I have been meaning to turf if anyone wants them?

Diggs said:
I've got about 50 screwtop tallies I have been meaning to turf if anyone wants them?
If you were in SA you could 10c rebate 'em and get $5!

"Technically" the bottles that aren't sold over the counter aren't eligible but they never check.

Where/when did Coopers do screw top longnecks? I've never seen them and I have 300 Cooper's bottles.

syl said:
Where/when did Coopers do screw top longnecks? I've never seen them and I have 300 Cooper's bottles.
I believe it was when they stopped with the ABC pickaxes... Even some of those were in twist top, even some ring pulls!

There's some good history on the coopers and adelaide bottle coop, if I get a chance I'll do some research and start a thread

Latest posts

Back