Coopers Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I've used them and reused them although now I mostly use glass.

Currently there is some debate on another forum about Coopers Bottles causing changes in flavour/oxidation and so on.

How have you got on with them?

I've had beer in them for a year or so with out problems.

Thanks aamcle

Are talking about the PET long neck bottles?

if your talking about the PET bottles I had 2 dozen of them but chuckled them after a few brews in them .I don't know about oxidation but they were a prick to clean properly . I was always trying to get crap out of the little feet .

I used the pet ones once. Reckon i could slightly taste the plastic so then used em for home made tomato sauce.

Yes Coopers long Necks, I've found them easy to clean but I rinse them as soon as I've finished the pour.

There is a debate on another forum I'm a member of and where we do bottle swaps, do Coopers PET bottles effect the condition/carbonation/flavour of the beers?

aamcle :)

if your talking about the PET bottles I had 2 dozen of them but chuckled them after a few brews in them .I don't know about oxidation but they were a prick to clean properly . I was always trying to get crap out of the little feet .

PET is soft and easily scratched. That "crap" you saw in the bottom of the feet was probably scratches on the outside of the bottom of the bottle. A lot of people have fallen for that trick.

I've been using some Coopers PET bottles for years. Even leave them for a week with cap on when empty before cleaning them (never use anything abrasive to clean them - no bottle brush).

Coopers themselves have stated that their PET bottles are good to hold beer for up to 18 months. This is fine for most beer which should be drunk fresh as soon as it has conditioned. Some people like to age stouts and other richer more complex beers for longer. This should go in glass.

Beware of other brands of brown PET bottles. Coopers bottles are better made.

As for producing off flavors, I call BS. Some home brew competitions now require entries to be submitted in PET (to avoid the risk of glass bottle bombs). No reports from judges as far as I know of entries being contaminated by plastic flavors.

What people say they taste is often driven by confirmation bias. Say to some people "Taste this. Do you think it tastes like plastic?", and they will say they taste plastic.

Plastic has had a bad press, and haters and going to hate.

Latest posts

Back