Coopers glass bottles - any good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damoninja

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a lot of glass longnecks that I've started using and was wondering what people thought about the quality of them.

Coopers stout - weigh about 520 grams. Does anyone have any experience with these? Successful for multiple reuses? I used to drink a bit of the stuff and know people who drink a lot of coopers longies so they're easy to get.

Other bottles:
About 85 or so pickaxe bottles - weigh between 569 and 582 grams (slight differences in makes over time). I'm confident reusing these, they are free of chips and fractures.
CUB - weigh about 500 grams.Seem a little thin in some places, I only have 6 or so of these so I've put them in the emergency pile.
And some random olive green torpedo shaped - weigh about 600 grams, built like tanks. No markings at all (should post a photo)

Or the shit.
Depending on your preference of modern vernacular.

manticle said:
Coopers longnecks are the bomb.
... depending on how many volumes primed to :ph34r:

damoninja said:
I've got a lot of glass longnecks that I've started using and was wondering what people thought about the quality of them.
Other bottles:
About 85 or so pickaxe bottles - weigh between 569 and 582 grams (slight differences in makes over time). I'm confident reusing these, they are free of chips and fractures.
The Coopers longnecks are the defacto bottles used and probably an ok choice but they worry me (see POST) - have been chucking out a lot of them. You can buy 500mL longnecks specifically made for reuse but I've switched to mainly bottle with champagne bottles.

Coopers claim they went from screwtop longnecks back to crown seal, for the benifit of homebrewers...

Ive never had a problem with them...

I use Coopers bottles for about 90% of my bottling, some are more than 20 years old, never had a problem, even though the thickness has changed a bit in recent years they still hold up. Others I use are the Hahn green longies as well as the smaller spring top ones like Grolsch etc.
Cheers,M.

Thanks guys, I thought they seemed pretty good.

The 20 year old coopers bottles however... would they have not been pickaxe back then?

Coopers are the best bottles that are available cheaply. I have around 300 of them. But if anyone has any more I WILL PICK THEM UP!!!!!!

syl said:
Coopers are the best bottles that are available cheaply. I have around 300 of them. But if anyone has any more I WILL PICK THEM UP!!!!!!
300 x 750ml = 225 litres of beer! Damn straight party at syl's house!

edit: Oh yeah and on topic. Coopers Bottles are great. I also like the little creatures pints, and assorted euro 500ml brown crown seals have worked well for me.

syl said:
I got one if you want to pick it up :p

Bridges said:
300 x 750ml = 225 litres of beer! Damn straight party at syl's house!

edit: Oh yeah and on topic. Coopers Bottles are great. I also like the little creatures pints, and assorted euro 500ml brown crown seals have worked well for me.
I have:

300 x 750 cooper's bottles
50 x 568ml little creature bottles
8 corny kegs
6 taps (when djar007 drops over the new fridge tonight!)
265L of fermenter space

It's ON! This stuff is all recent, I am going full hog 95-130-210L a week at the moment with my mate. Just preparing for nuclear war.

EDIT: Also cubes, probably spending 30-40hrs a week on brewing and research at the moment. :/ Just missed it so much when I had the airbourne infection issues.

syl said:
I have:

300 x 750 cooper's bottles
50 x 568ml little creature bottles
8 corny kegs
6 taps (when djar007 drops over the new fridge tonight!)
265L of fermenter space

It's ON! This stuff is all recent, I am going full hog 95-130-210L a week at the moment with my mate. Just preparing for nuclear war.

EDIT: Also cubes, probably spending 30-40hrs a week on brewing and research at the moment. :/ Just missed it so much when I had the airbourne infection issues.
Needs more cowbell :ph34r:

Yep! The old Coopers bottles are bloody good. 'Can't go wrong.

Ironically enough, the "new" screw-top bottles are actually better engineered for pressure-tolerance.

I cry every time I think that I gave away 72 DOZEN (yes, 864 bottles!) of the old ones to a mate, who then sold them to other homebrewers... :(.

The ******* owes me a beer!!

Is everyone talking about the old coopers bottles or newer ones?

From what I remember (though I'm only 27) my dad used to get coopers and it used to come in pickaxe bottles which you could return and grew a deposit for. Since the late 90s they stopped using pickaxe and made their own??

imho the current coopers longies are thicker and stronger than the pickaxes. i lost quite a few pickaxes when bottling, never destroyed a coopers one... amazing how they bounce, even filled.

Latest posts

Back