Coopers English Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Mick

Reaction score
IMG_0253.JPG
wow, I think I've found my new favourite recipe and it couldn't be easier to make.

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/44/

Brewed in about 5 days, racked off for a week, keg and force carded today, and I couldn't resist a sneaky sample. Tastes so good. I bottled up 4 longnecks which I'll keep for a few months, but this young stuff in the keg is superb.

Must admit, the Coopers Stout tin is very good...it just works

Its almost just as easy to use that tin. ....almost.

Alternating tonight between this stout and LCBA clone (all grain). I can't pick a winner. They are both so good.

I might give this one a try on the weekend - the Best Extra Stout is a real winner and was thinking of making another stout

Nice to not have to reculture the coopers yeast again, I hate waiting for that!

Good question Grott.

I will make this a regular from now on, especially now the cooler months are with us. BUT....... I will still mash brew occasionally. I feel for paler beers mashing gives far superior results. It's all about balancing time and expectations. I have brewed some fantastic kit and extract beers, but all grain really does go up a level.

Coopers regular series stout (edit: haven't used the Thos Coopers version as I've found the regular series does the job fine) is the jewel in their crown. It hits the spot for replicating a Guinness type stout in that it has fairly low malt flavour, good roast and no perceivable hop aroma or flavour with the hops supporting the roasty dryness and body. The roast character nicely hides any kit 'twang'.

I'd enhance it by using an Irish Ale yeast if some slurry in storage, but OOT to buy a Wyeast specifically for this brew.

I'd also vote "why go AG for a dry, smooth low hop, low malt but good roast quaffing stout when you can buy a tin of this".

Could I use my US-05 yeast with this coopers stout? or no...
I did.

I fermented it with the kit yeast and half a cup of US-05 slurry from a previous brew.

Thanks Bribie. I'll try the regular stout. This one was the Irish stout with a tin of dark malt extract and 20 grams of steeped Fuggles. I mean......how easy is that? It's a great beer.

Latest posts

Back