Coopers Dark X2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyClem

Reaction score
Hi there,
Has anyone tried using 2 cans of coopers dark ale? Any other additions come to mind? I'm thinking of a smooth dark beer, almost stout like, for next winter.
Clem :chug:

The Coopers Dark kit definitely needs something. By itself I find it thin and watery.
2 cans may just be the trick but it'll make it pretty bitter. You may want to steep about 250g of crystal and add that to give it a bit of sweetness to balance.

two can beers always have a problem with bitterness, as pointed out by Voosher. One bloke I met said that he made a brew with two cans of coopers stout plus dextrose, added to blow his head off when he drinks it. Crystal would probably be the way to go to balance that out a little; need to work out what darkness crystal you want though.

This Link Here says 28 IBU, so 2 is gonna give you 56 IBU in 22 litres.As Voosher suggests ,maybe ad some crystal to smooth it out a tad.

Just a quick question to tag onto this thread, sorry for a small hi-jack HappyClem, what does "IBU" stand for?

Just a quick question to tag onto this thread, sorry for a small hi-jack HappyClem, what does "IBU" stand for?

International Bittering Units.

Edit: Actually I think it's Bitterness units, but you get the idea.

Heya

I'm trying to get my head around IBU's as well

Is there a reference somewhere to commercial brews and theit IBU ratings?
That would really help when gageing if a recepie will be to your liking...

Thanks voosh, hope we arent too far off topic here! :ph34r:

I'm drinking a toucan. One can of Cooper's dark ale, one can of Cooper's stout, 100gm choc malt.

Delicious!

Heya

I'm trying to get my head around IBU's as well

Is there a reference somewhere to commercial brews and theit IBU ratings?
That would really help when gageing if a recepie will be to your liking...

Thanks voosh, hope we arent too far off topic here! :ph34r:

The broadest guide is probably the BJCP guidelines.
BJCP style guidelines
It includes some commercial examples of the styles and the accepted bitterness range so you should get a good idea from there.
I don't know of a comprehensive guide to commercial beers IBU's. You tend to find them piecemeal. Some brewery's websites give comprehensive info as far as bitterness etc is concerned. Most don't.

Hi there,
Has anyone tried using 2 cans of coopers dark ale? Any other additions come to mind? I'm thinking of a smooth dark beer, almost stout like, for next winter.
Clem :chug:

The absolute best thing you can put into a Coopers Dark Lager brew is the "Super Dark" sugar bag from TWOC Brew Supplies (in Bibra Lake, Perth).

I have made two of these so far and they are the best kit and kilos I have ever drunk. Smooth, strong, great head. Perfect dark beer.

Totally recommended....

http://www.homebru.com.au/brewing_sugars%2...20Additives.htm

Costs $9.90 but well worth every cent.

Hmm the crystal sounds good, thanks guys

Or maybe I could be adventurous and go the other way, adding a 3rd can, of Stout!

Back