Coopers Canadian Blonde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamus

Reaction score
The thread on Mexican Cerveza has gone absolutely crazy and I've tried mine and its pretty good.... Has anyone tried Canadian Blonde?

I did one a few years ago now and enjoyed it.

It was a good vehicle for chillies too...

I added a brew enhancer type pack and 400g of Orange Blossom honey.

I did a long time ago, from my misty memeory it went down pretty well.

I did this one just over a year ago and it turned out really great. I used a Coopers suplied recipe called "Buxom Blonde"... 500g light malt, brew enhancer, and a teabag of Goldings.

I did a long time ago, from my misty memeory it went down pretty well.
yeah, I read those...Just wanted to know if anyones tried it and whether you'd recommend BE1 or BE2?

I always say BE2, the extra malt always helps.

Just put down my 6th? batch of Canadian Blonde, have been doing it with coopers b/e2, 2tsp fuggles pellets boiled 10-15 minutes (lid on), kill heat & add 2 more tsp pellets, leave 3-5 minutes with lid on, tip into fermenter with wort & b/e2, top up to 23l, use coopers yeast.
A little light for my tastes, but has been universally popular otherwise.
Usually a 14 day ferment then into secondary/clearing cube in fridge. Quite drinkable 2 days later in the keg, improves over 4 weeks or so.
A couple of mates I have started down the HB path have tried above method with (NZ) saaz & hallertauer, both tend to "overpower" what is essentially a very light bodied beer.
An easy pleasant quaffer.

I've been using these types of kits as a good light base for doing something interesting with.

I did about a 1/2 kilo crystal steep and about another half kilo of dried wheat malt with about a 15 min. hallertauer boil with 1/2 kilo of orange blossom honey at around 3 or 4 mins before flameout. Then all in with the kit and fermented with a Kolsch yeast starter.
After about 6 weeks has settled very nicely.

Just put down my 6th? batch of Canadian Blonde, have been doing it with coopers b/e2, 2tsp fuggles pellets boiled 10-15 minutes (lid on), kill heat & add 2 more tsp pellets, leave 3-5 minutes with lid on, tip into fermenter with wort & b/e2, top up to 23l, use coopers yeast.
A little light for my tastes, but has been universally popular otherwise.
Usually a 14 day ferment then into secondary/clearing cube in fridge. Quite drinkable 2 days later in the keg, improves over 4 weeks or so.
A couple of mates I have started down the HB path have tried above method with (NZ) saaz & hallertauer, both tend to "overpower" what is essentially a very light bodied beer.
An easy pleasant quaffer.

Hi Mark,
What would be a commercial beer that I could try that's similar to the Canadian Blond kit? I want to see if I'd like it and mabey make it as my second batch when and if my first one (Mexican Cerveza) ever finishes fermenting :)

Hi Mark,
What would be a commercial beer that I could try that's similar to the Canadian Blond kit? I want to see if I'd like it and mabey make it as my second batch when and if my first one (Mexican Cerveza) ever finishes fermenting :)

As a general style try Carlton Pure Blonde, this is pretty much what I would expect a Canadian Blonde kit to be like with b/e 1 with no extra hops. B/E 2 @ fuggles add a bit of extra body & character.

As has been said before, watch your sanitation & temperature control, keep notes, brew as much as you can, build up a stockpile & enjoy.

Don't be afraid to leave bottles conditioning for a while, when bottling, as a rule I'd aim to leave a brew 4 weeks in the bottle & with most brews found 3 months+ to be best. Some brews that were "ordinary" early on really improved with some age.

Enjoy!
Mark

Latest posts

Back