Coopers Bitterness

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tribalfish

Reaction score
I've seen a post/link on here that gives the bitterness levels of each of Coopers cans, but can't seem to find it.
Can anyone help?
My old man is just back into brewing after a 30+ year break and has bought himself a Coopers draught can and a be2.
He's fond of a Carlton draught and I'm trying to work out a recipe for him. Can anyone reccomend a yeast and hops that might help?

Thanks in advance, Tribalfish. ;)

Coopers website says 420IBU, so when made into a 23L batch is about 18IBU (quite low).

To make something akin to an aussie bitter/draught go with the can and BE2. Do maybe a 15-20min of Pride of Ringwood hops (say 10g @ 20mins, 10g at 0min to soak). Wait 10mins and strain the mix into the fermentor. The kit yeast is pretty average. Aussie beers are mostly fermented with lager yeasts, so you could use S-189 or W34/70. However, brewing with a clean ale yeast (US-05 or Nottingham) at low temps (15-16C) with yield a clean crisp beer.

I would recommend a twocan brew, you simply can't go wrong with 2 x Cooper Lager cans and Nottingham yeast, primary a week, secondary with gelatin. Nothing gourmet about it, just a good all malt beer which I found pleases most aussie beer drinkers. It does take some time to mature though, 8 weeks at least.

Tribal, all the coopers cans bitterness level is on their website under the brewcans section here

The way to work out the bittering is technically IBUx1.7/volume (or for a 2can, obviously change 1.7 to 3.4)
however; there has been a lot of discussion about the bitterness that coopers say on the site, and many people (myself included) consider that the ratings advertised are somewhat high when calculated with the dilution formula (coopers themselves say in their faq that the bitterness will be 10-30% lower).

Personally, I think that a more reasonable representation of the bitterness is obtained by a straight division formula, IBU/vol. I've found that for volumes between 15-25L this is closer in bitterness to beers that I've hopped fully myself using tinseths formula. (at least for the lighter coloured ones, bitter and below. Never tried their darker ones.)

Back