Coopers Bavarian Ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a toucan with two Coopers Bavarian Ale kits using some Coopers ale yeast; there's no way I can achieve lager temperatures at the moment (last brew was 26-28 deg. C). Obviously it won't turn out like a lager, but I figure the double dose of malt and hops should be fairly forgiving of the different yeast type, and produce a Pale Ale or possibly Kolsch? Has anyone tried something this before?

I'll keep the lager yeast in the fridge for next winter when I'll try to make a "real" lager again; I didn't really get down to lager temperatures last time, but I'll try to use refrigerated water to get the starting temperature down next time.

My last couple of "super" toucans (2 cans + kilo) have turned out pretty good, though I need to let them age more. I've just bottled a toucan Real Ale; it blew the top off my air lock and dumped foam in the lid, so I think I'll just use one sachet this time. ;)

I was thinking of doing a toucan with two Coopers Bavarian Ale kits using some Coopers ale yeast; there's no way I can achieve lager temperatures at the moment (last brew was 26-28 deg. C). Obviously it won't turn out like a lager, but I figure the double dose of malt and hops should be fairly forgiving of the different yeast type, and produce a Pale Ale or possibly Kolsch? Has anyone tried something this before?

I'll keep the lager yeast in the fridge for next winter when I'll try to make a "real" lager again; I didn't really get down to lager temperatures last time, but I'll try to use refrigerated water to get the starting temperature down next time.

My last couple of "super" toucans (2 cans + kilo) have turned out pretty good, though I need to let them age more. I've just bottled a toucan Real Ale; it blew the top off my air lock and dumped foam in the lid, so I think I'll just use one sachet this time. ;)

Drinking the last of my Coopers Bavarian now. Only a one can effort but added some Hallertau (20g x 10 minutes) and 10 grams dry hopped (wanted a bit more aroma) and used Coopers BE 2 for the extra malt and body. Saflager yeast (made in June). Turned out very nice.

Just my thoughts but a toucan of CBL might not be worth the effort. I've got plenty of flavour in mine. All other toucans I've made need ages to mature and all have that "bitter" funny tasting aftertaste, as if they really weren't suited to be mixed that way. Are you thinking of using Coopers kit yeast or a reconstituted Coopers Pale Ale / Sparkling Ale yeast ? Maybe think of that rather than the Coopers dry yeast ?

Just my thoughts but a toucan of CBL might not be worth the effort. I've got plenty of flavour in mine. All other toucans I've made need ages to mature and all have that "bitter" funny tasting aftertaste, as if they really weren't suited to be mixed that way.
My young toucans certainly have a bitter hops bite, but I prefer that to my milder wheat beer etc. attempts which really needed the extra edge.
Of course, too much of a good thing isn't necessary good - and hops (isohops?) falls into that category. ;)

Are you thinking of using Coopers kit yeast or a reconstituted Coopers Pale Ale / Sparkling Ale yeast ? Maybe think of that rather than the Coopers dry yeast ?
Coopers kit yeast. I've tried cultivating bottle yeast dregs before (Coopers, Belgian beers etc.) but it doesn't seem to work for me. :( I have two regular Coopers "Brewers Yeast" sachets (no special suffix letters) in the fridge from a previous brew where I used a specialty Safale etc. yeast, so I was planning to use one (or both) of those.

Back