Cooper Home Brew Cans - Difference Between Each Series?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first Cerveza has a homebrew taste...
Not your fault. It just tastes like shite imho, until it has had about four weeks to settle it's 'orrible self down. I only make it for the missus and now that she has tasted something better in the other brews, the cerveza is heading for the blacklist.

It's OK with a spicy hotpot or something like that, but a session beer it is not.

Cheers - Fermented.

All cheekiness aside, and trying to put on my "objective hat", swap out the yeast for US05, crash cill when done, and geletine fine. One thing about the cerveza is that (kindly put) they are very low on flavour (more harshly, its like gnats water), so any yeast left in suspension will overide the flavour. With this style, neutral yeast, and clarity is the key. If its not clear, it will taste like 'homebrew' (in the negative sense).

ok gotcha, the brew is crystal clear, but perhaps the coopers ale yeast is to blame, i will pitch US05 next time....

Great post Fermented.
I am getting back into the world of brewing after a 10 year break. Now older, wiser, balder, I have moved to Lane Cove, next door to you @ Chatswood.

Do you recommend any good local places to get brew kits, yeasts, hops etc? I am new to the North.

Also, what is S-04? S-05? Types of yeasts? Saflager? Does it really make THAT much difference in the end result in comparison to the yeast that comes with the kit?? Really...? So where do I get them? :)

Rendo

'Morning!

Quantocks: The KMart at Chatty has a poor selection at best. Each time I've popped in there I find, bluntly, SFA. Maybe a few cans, a kit or two, a bench bottler, a few accessories on the wall and a sparse selection of dry goods. I didn't notice any HB stuff in the Coles at Westfield, or maybe I just keep my eyes shut and only grab a few items as their grocery and fruit and veg prices are extortionate.

dirty jobs I think I may have to suffer the dark side. I've got the S-04 in stock, so will use that for now. I had a look at the Fermentis site to learn the difference between S-04 and S-05. The 05 seems to be the choice for more modern styles with a lighter, cleaner finish and the 04 for a more traditional ale taste. 05 is on my shopping list for the next bulk buy.

Cheers - Fermented.

EDIT: Left one thing out (yeasts).

Also, what is S-04? S-05? Types of yeasts? Saflager? Really...? So where do I get them? :)

Yes they are yeast types, S-04 is an English ale yeast US-05 is an American ale yeast.

Does it really make THAT much difference in the end result in comparison to the yeast that comes with the kit??

Yes it does. This is one of the simplest ways to improve a brew and result in something much more drinkable.

Most home brew shops will stock these. You can also get them from the site sponsors.

Cheers
Gavo.

Do you recommend any good local places to get brew kits, yeasts, hops etc? I am new to the North.
Congrats. It's a nice enough part of Sydney. I used to live down in Helen St, Lane Cove about ten years ago. Apartment jungle but the Asian owned Kwikki Mart was a good thing, despite extortionate prices.

On the north side we are lucky to have two shops. There's Daves at North Sydney on Miller St and there is Asquith Homebrewing at Asquith on the Pacific Hwy.

Both are quite decent shops with knowledgeable proprietors and they're both nice enough blokes too.

No affiliation, etc, etc, {insert disclaimer here}, ymmv, etc.

Also, check out the forum sponsors. The prices from those guys is often better and besides, they help keep the board alive.

S-04 and S-05 are pretty much a staple ale yeast. Have a look at the Fermentis site (http://www.fermentis.com/FO/EN/06-Ales/30-10_product_hb.asp) for info on their range of yeasts. There are a few other companies whose yeasts are readily available too.

Oh - and I take back what I said about K-Mart Chatswood. For the most part, it's pretty well stocked with the standard Coopers range now. That said, I would rather give my money to a privately owned small business anyway unless I'm desperate for standard ingredients.

Cheers - Fermented.

I must jump in and defend Coopers ( a bit ) here.

All of the International series and Thomas Coopers series make it clear on the label to use Brew Enhancers and/or dry malt.

The Sparkling Ale instructions even introduce the idea of cans of liquid malt.

Yes the original cans say sugar, but as a recent newbie a few years ago I still remember my progression up the scale
from the cheap and nasty through the International series to the Thomas Coopers good stuff.

The quality of the cans may not change, but the instructions definately do.

As for dumping the non-malt fermentables, there is a point similar to the early 'why add cane sugar' when one asks
'why add any sugar, just add malt and more hops in the boil'.

When you get to this point, well, you actually start making pretty good beer.

Great post Fermented.
I am getting back into the world of brewing after a 10 year break. Now older, wiser, balder, I have moved to Lane Cove, next door to you @ Chatswood.

Also, what is S-04? S-05? Types of yeasts? Saflager? Does it really make THAT much difference in the end result in comparison to the yeast that comes with the kit?? Really...? So where do I get them? :)

Rendo

Rendo,

Dave's Homebrew on Miller St in North Sydney, under the North Sydney Oval grand stand - great guys who are more than willing to help and have a chat.

S-04 & S-05 are different types of yeast, and yes they make a difference. I wouldn't have thought it until I brewed my first wheat beer with WB-06, the taste and aroma was completely different.

I hope this question falls under the topic here but here goes:

What is everyones favourite kits as in brand names....I'm talking Morgans, Muntons, Coopers, Home Brand, Tooheys etc.....and is there much of a difference between them all?
Or is it more of an individual taste kind of thing?
Its just that my local source for Home Brew kits doesn't really have that much of a selection and I want to know if I can just get away with the Supermarket brands.

Coopers Lager is my standard kit i pick up from Coles. Nice price, some IBU's and not too much colour. Perfect for adding flavour, aroma and bitterness hops. Also extra malt, steeping grains and different yeasts. And you can almost make any style with it as a starting point.

I'm up to about 18 or so brews and this method of keeping the kit the same has really let me learn alot about the extra bits i add in. Which will help when i finally set up my AG kit.

And to stoke the fire i think dex gets a bad rap. It is always used in my session beer recipes so they arent so cloying.

Peaka, this sounds like a good topic for a new thread, consider making one.
For my part ESB wheat is currently my favorite kit, although i have a liquid wort kit i am just about to start which for the price i hope will top it.

Back