Cool Micro Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapdrunk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just went down for a look at the Brewers den Micro Brewery in Mona Vale. It's pretty frickin cool!!

I went to get some info for home brewing, got to tasting and ended up putting 50L of a Beautiful Honey Beer down. I'm Bottling this Saturday 12pm!

http://www.brewersden.com.au/

I have no financial affiliation with them or anything like that, just thought I pass the word round, definately worth a look, gave me a few ideas for my own set up.

The Beers comes out cold, filtered and carbonated ready to bottle, and drink while bottling...very cool.

If anyone's round this saturday at 12pm, look for a slighty balding bloke bottling beers, say g'day :party:

Happy brewing.

This is pretty much like the other brew on premises places floating around like misterbrew. All extract and hops? Same temperature fermentation for both lagers and ales, etc?

$200 for 5 cases is a bit rich, sure they take care of some stuff for you, but isn't the high cost because they have to pay excise on the alcohol you make with them? 5 cases worth excluding bottles could be made for as little as $30 using normal methods (or even less by mad AGers with cheap grain, farmed yeast and bulk hops). Including some bottles (60 longnecks) maybe $80-90 all up, and then you can reuse the bottles.

But anyway, it's a good idea for a lot of people who don't have the space/time to do it at home, and even people who wouldn't even consider doing homebrew get interested about it (even my brother/mother in law were raving about it after seeing it on TV, saying it was very cheap and all, when i told them how much i do batches for they were even more surprised)

Well i reckon these brew your own places are not too bad considering they may change peoples attitude away from kit and kilo and raise there awareness to better beer and different processes ie ag partial etc.
Ive only ever visited them and have no intention of brewing in them.Mind you if they were flogging off any of there equipment i would show more interest.

Cheers
Big D

We also have one of these down my way. Had a look at the setup awhile ago nothing special.

Know a few people that have used them, and tried some of them.

Alot taste the same.

Every one I have talked to have no interest in seting up in the garage to home brew them selfs(NO MESS NO FUSS)

Plus you make five slabs that you have to keep refrigerated. Can't see the point in it.

Just my thoughts though :(

Regards Blue

On the website it looked like they are filling bottles straight from a tap of sorts. Surely this style of filling wouldn't last the 6 months quoted :unsure:

As bigd noted though, it is a good way of introducing newbies to brewing.

Cheers.

My brother used to go to one of these BOPs a few years ago in Brookvale. He enjoyed it a lot. It was a little bit about the beer you could brew yourself (but still had the extract taste), a little bit about the price (80% of retail), but mainly about a good chance to get together with some like-minded friends. I went a couple of times and it had a great atmosphere.

Having said that, I really can't let this one get away with calling their recipe #25 "Belgian Lager", and then saying its like Duvel. Which one is it???

Let us know how your honey beer turns out!

Berp.

first I heard of these places I'd already spent a lot of money on equipment- so I haven't bothered checking them out, really. They don't interest me any more, I must say

Duff,

I had the same thought as you regarding the 6months thing, but I got to talking to one of the workers there and apparently the lack of preservatives will send the beer south long before the lack of carbonation.

It's definately not for everyone, espescially most homebrewers, but the social side is great, there'll be about 5 of us all having a go bottling and drinking while we do it, and if my beer turns out like bees nees, then i've got a $65 a case beer labelled with my company name (promo tax rite off) for $30 a case.... So i'm happy,

I let you know how it tastes.

cd

That price seems a bit rich for 5 cases. Our local charges $110 for 6 cases of standard strength. The beer was quite drinkable, but after a few weeks, it tasted metallic.

These are good setups for a no-fuss brew away from home.

Back