Converting A Us Regulator To Au Standard

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazmodik

Reaction score
I'm just starting out, and am trying to put together a keg system on the cheap. New baby on the way so I'm doing this as cheap as possible so as not to get in too much poo with my wife. :beerbang: LOL

I'm considering buying a new US standard CO2 regulator because the price is pretty good. ($26 shipped). Does anyone have experience with converting the nut for Australian use? From what I can gather, the stem would have to be unscrewed and a new nut (or a whole stem?) put on it to fit an Au bottle.

Is there anywhere in Australia (Perth preferably) that would sell the right pieces? I also thought that if I can source a stuffed up regulator, I could salvage the stem from one of those?

How difficult would this job be? Is it really worth the effort?

You can get the part that you require from BOC. The "gas in" fitting just unscrews and the new one will screw into it.

the part you need is about $45-50 from supagas (BOC PRODUCT) i need two of them myself for another purpose and enquired about them the other day ...

the part you need is about $45-50 from supagas (BOC PRODUCT) i need two of them myself for another purpose and enquired about them the other day ...

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

So that equates to about $75 for a US regulator and conversion which probably isnt so far off buying a new Au Reg. :huh:

Do you know if there are usually any issues with them sealing properly once a new stem is screwed in?

It should seal aright. If you worried put a bit of monkey spunk on the threads.

I'm just starting out, and am trying to put together a keg system on the cheap. New baby on the way so I'm doing this as cheap as possible so as not to get in too much poo with my wife. :beerbang: LOL

I'm considering buying a new US standard CO2 regulator because the price is pretty good. ($26 shipped). Does anyone have experience with converting the nut for Australian use? From what I can gather, the stem would have to be unscrewed and a new nut (or a whole stem?) put on it to fit an Au bottle.

Is there anywhere in Australia (Perth preferably) that would sell the right pieces? I also thought that if I can source a stuffed up regulator, I could salvage the stem from one of those?

How difficult would this job be? Is it really worth the effort?
Try Arc-I Industries in Osborne park, I bought a CO2 nut and tail off them to make a CO2 filling lead for around $20 last year.
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/onlineSoluti...ef=whereispopup
Also you will probably find the thread on the tail will be wrong for your reg as the ones they have are BSP thread to suit CIG/BOC regs and yours will probably have one of the US pipe taper threads on it. I know the ones they sell will not fit into the Harris CO2 regs as they have a parallel thread that seals against a washer inside the reg body.

I will definitely give them a go if I end up getting it. Just around the corner ... well ... sorta :)

Would it be possible just to slide the old nut off the unscrewed stem and replace it with the nut from an Australian one?

The unit is a Tap Rite 3741 from what i can determine from picture by the way.

Latest posts

Back