Congratulations Nt - You Win!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and they only count the over the counter grog. What about the home made gear
Greg

Yeah, but if you hang around Darwin a bit, you'll notice that probably well over 50% of the consumption out of pubs and clubs etc is from tourists from other countries or states, or contractors that are temporarily living there

I'm looking at the maths of the people who have commented on that story.

Provided they are right, it was only 16 stubbies worth of beer per person per week...

I drink more than that.

I'm looking at the maths of the people who have commented on that story.

Provided they are right, it was only 16 stubbies worth of beer per person per week...

I drink more than that.

But there are teetotallers out there. Average consumption doesn't indicate the extremes.

Even if 50% were teetotallers.......Still not extreme, probably not healthy long term, but hardly news worthy.

I figure it to be closer to twenty one stubbies per week... Thats on your average stubbie being 1.3 standard drinks, or 13ml of pure alcohol.

That means for every non-drinker, someone is drinking two cartons a week just about, that's got to be pretty much boderline excessive in anyone's language..

When they factor in the number of people for the state, do they count the whole population or just those old enough to drink?

Even if 50% were teetotallers.......Still not extreme, probably not healthy long term, but hardly news worthy.

What you see as normal because you drink every day, others will find excessive. Whatever... I drink more than the average Territorian as well, so...

I hang my head in shame. Northern Territorians out-drink my home state by the Darwin Stubby truckload.

:p Hopper

You should know this song !!

Bloody Good Drinkers
Chorus:

Oh, they `ve got some bloody good drinkers
In the Northern Territory
From Darwin down to Alice Springs
They`ve always on a spree
From out on the Barkly Tablelands
And across to the VRD

Oh the drinkers of the Territory
Are black and brown and white
But no matter what your colour is
You get into it every night
So grab yourself a stubby
And sing along with me
About those bloody good drinkers

chorus

Jack Mackay used to measure the bogs
On the road to Mainoru
By the number of bottles of O.P. Rum
It`d take him to drink his way through
His best was a twenty seven bottler
In a wet when you`d bog a duck,
But it didn`t worry Jack on the Mainoru track
He kept bellowin`out:"Good luck".

chorus

I went to visit a mate of mine
On a run called "Wallaby Bill`s"
It was a Mount Wedge, which is right on the edge
Of the spinifex and sandhills
I produced a bottle of rum
And I asked if I could stay
Bill said: "Oh mate, let`s shut the gate
And we`ll throw the blood cork away."

chorus

Desert Joe from Mongrel Downs
Is normally a pretty quiet bloke
But on the day he named that station
He wasn`t inclined to joke
Joe said: "I`d been months in the stock camp
Waitin' for the carrier to come
But when the stupid bloody mongrel came
He`d forgotten to bring the rum".

chorus

Out north-west from the Alice
They can all hold down their rum
And whenever they have a "Smoky Joe"
The whole bang mob will come
In the bush you make your own fun
Come dust or rain or thunder
And the big highlight of many a night
Is to measure the longest chunder.

chorus

Roger Jose lived terrible close
To a place they call The Loo
He lived in an upturned rain water tank
And he played the didgeridoo
Roger liked to drink bush champagne
'Twas he who coined that title
To a bloody good slug of metho
And a spoonful of Sal Vital.

chorus

Verses have been added to the song over the years, to suit the stories of Ted Egan. One about a bloke inflicted with cerebal palsy and on crutches after a fall. One night staggering across the dance floor to go to the loo, his gyrations to avoid people won him the dance competition being held. Fair dinkum !

Spent a number of years living in the NT, mainly Alice Springs but about a year in Darwin - love the joint, might get back there again sometime :icon_cheers:

You should know this song !!

Verses have been added to the song over the years, to suit the stories of Ted Egan. One about a bloke inflicted with cerebal palsy and on crutches after a fall. One night staggering across the dance floor to go to the loo, his gyrations to avoid people won him the dance competition being held. Fair dinkum !

Spent a number of years living in the NT, mainly Alice Springs but about a year in Darwin - love the joint, might get back there again sometime :icon_cheers:

Classic! Haven't heard that song FG! I guess it gets so hot in NT even the mozzies have a sip!

Classic! Haven't heard that song FG! I guess it gets so hot in NT even the mozzies have a sip!

Since we're talking about big mozzies .. back in the war, a new bloke to Darwin air traffic control, fresh from the school outa Melbourne, rang the air force saying an invasion of unknown aircraft heading into the Top End. Kept saying they were refusing to answer all his calls. Said they must have been Japanese. The top guns from the RAAF responded, sighted the said invaders, said to their superiors they were attack bombers and acknowledged the order to fire. Next thing you know, twenty dead mozzies .. each with a wing span of 30 m.

When the story broke about this, the boys from the Tiwi Islanders laughed. "Dem airforce blokes only shot de babies !"

True story. Heard it in the Old Vic Pub, Darwin, 1988.

Latest posts

Back