Condensation In Chest Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joecast

Eat, drink...and drink some more.
Reaction score
hey guys and gals,
starting to notice a bit more condensation that normal on the inner walls of my chest freezer. its a ~200L with 140cm collar and some 'insulating' foam around the sides of the collar. just put a computer fan in it, but no auto timer on that so its on and off when i remember. temp is set to 5C.
could it be the slightly warmer weather causing it? any ideas appreciated. thanks
joe

I find that when I run my computer fan I get alot more condensation in my keg freezer. I assume its because it draws warm/moist air from the top causing the moisture to form condensation. Most probably because it is not sealing perfectly.

Since moving I have not plugged my fan in because the power point where the freezer is, is a single power point ....and I have not had much condensation at all...actually the liquid in the bottom is frozen now unlike before when there was a pool of water in the bottom.....however I have noticed alot more mould growing in the bottom of my freezer now...not sure why that is but it is starting to smell so I need to have a clean up.

Not sure if this helps at all but atleast you know you are not the only person with this issue.

Pok

I have a fan running in mine 24/7 except when I open the lid. No condensation to speak of. Varies between 2C and 6C.

the more you open it, the worse it will get.

I keep a takeaway container of calcium chloride on top of one of my kegs and this seems to suck up almost all of the moisture and the condensation has gone away since I put it in there.

yeah I run a fan 24/7 and have damp rid on there as well and both solved the condensation issue and I'm still yet to put a collar on the new freezer so it gets opened quite a bit.

yeah I run a fan 24/7 and have damp rid on there as well and both solved the condensation issue and I'm still yet to put a collar on the new freezer so it gets opened quite a bit.

+1 i had problems which have gone since i used damp rid, my fan comes on when the freezer does.

thanks guys. will look at getting some damp rid and also see how i can improve the lid seal. cheers.

I have a problem in my keg freezer with moisture build up too.
I have tried Selleys Absorb It
http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-Absorb-I...ct/default.aspx

and this worked for about a week, but the one packet I used has been used up, I have 4 more packets, but really it is inneffective long term.
Does larger quantities of this stuff help?

I cant see any gaps in the seal around the collar (although I know this doesnt mean there isn't any), and the timber is unsealed.

I have to clean it out about once a month, and there seems like there is tiny mould spores growin on the rubber of the kegs too!

I have a fan running all the time - I'll try turning this off.

Where can you get calcium chloride in bulk?

What's the big deal with condensation? Mine gets condensation on the walls that freezes but I can't see it doing any harm. No mould nothing.

What's the big deal with condensation? Mine gets condensation on the walls that freezes but I can't see it doing any harm. No mould nothing.

Im most freezes running at fridge temps it won't freeze, and the moisture mixed with beer spillage can get mouldy very quick.

When the freezer turns off, those frosty bits will defrost and pool in the bottom of the freezer. You end up with a stagnant pool of water and general dampness which aids in mould growth. I get mould growth along the edges of the base where it's moist but not wet. Another cause is the very small amount off beer which can spill out of the disconnect when removing it from an empty keg - this seems to be the source for me for the mould (beaten by Mark). Now I make sure to have a small towel with me when disconnecting to wipe it up straight away.

Theres so much mate that it really pools up in the bottom of my chesty. Its a mess! especally mould - mould is one thing I dont really like seeing around when I do my darndest to keep it out of my beers.

When the freezer turns off, those frosty bits will defrost and pool in the bottom of the freezer. You end up with a stagnant pool of water and general dampness which aids in mould growth. I get mould growth along the edges of the base where it's moist but not wet. Another cause is the very small amount off beer which can spill out of the disconnect when removing it from an empty keg - this seems to be the source for me for the mould (beaten by Mark). Now I make sure to have a small towel with me when disconnecting to wipe it up straight away.

True.. Maybe my mould is on its way??? I do however wipe it out with an antibacterial spray so maybe that is helping to prevent it. Did this just the other night when the out post of a PA decided not to seal properly after the disconnect was removed. Only lost about a hundred mils.

should be in your local supermarket. Get the refil pack as it works out a fair bit cheaper in the long term and its about $8 from memory.

should be in your local supermarket. Get the refil pack as it works out a fair bit cheaper in the long term and its about $8 from memory.

do you mean a refill pack of Selleys AbsorbIt?
It contains two packs.
One lasted about a week - so thats $16 a month.. not a longterm solution.

Refil of damp rid. Comes in a resealable bag as it's about 1kg of crystals, while the plastic containers that you use hold much less.

16.jpg

Refil of damp rid. Comes in a resealable bag as it's about 1kg of crystals, while the plastic containers that you use hold much less.

16.jpg

cool - will look out for it! and keep the lid shut...

"OOh JD nice keg freezer can i have a look inside?"

NO *SLAMS LID SHUT*

Latest posts

Back