Composting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saturn

Reaction score
I have been putting both spent grains and hops intomy compost bin

I can guess the worms (which we are trying to encourage)get very excited about the grain

The hops I am less certain off as worms are less than enthusiastic about things like onions, lemons etc

anyone out there that might have an idea if the hops are good or bad in the compost bin?

I can guess the worms (which we are trying to encourage)get very excited about the grain
The hops I am less certain off as worms are less than enthusiastic about things like onions, lemons etc
anyone out there that might have an idea if the hops are good or bad in the compost bin?

I put my spent grain and hops in with a shovel of dynamic lifter and it goes nuclear - ones it cools down I think the worms would love it.

My hops go in the compost bin. My theory is if its come from the ground it can go back in the ground.
Cheers
Steve

it all goes into my compost (bar some grain which I pput into my home made bread and some for home made dog buscuits).. The only thing compost doesnt like is cirtus as its used in pesticides/herbicides and can kill off plants, works etc. There shouldnt be anything wrong with hops in the compost (mine goes in there). Just dont let your dog east the hops. hops are poisonous to most dogs

Hops are bad for dogs? Nice. Now i know how to shut that little mutt up next door. :D

Altho since i do throw all my hop/trub residue from the kettle all over my lawn and the local dogs still insist on leaving presents for me to step on i am not sure they are that bad for them.

I feed spent grains to the chooks - they go nuts every time they see me walking down there with the mash tun!

Hops are very bad for dogs. Do a google, there are some nasty stories out there. It makes their metabolism go fast, they produce excess heat and cannot get rid of it. I make sure that the kettle trub goes in a bucket and tipped away from where the dog can access it. 300 gms of hop pellets residue does make a pile.

The chooks at first are very enthusiastic about spent grains, but soon wander off. The high efficiency here means that most of the nutrient is in the boiler. They have a scratch around through the grains but most stays on the ground.

A mix of soil, spent grains, chook pooh and sheep pooh makes a nice looking mix for the garden.

Don't know about the toxicity of hops and worms.

Hops are very bad for dogs. Do a google, there are some nasty stories out there. It makes their metabolism go fast, they produce excess heat and cannot get rid of it.

Sounds like the ecstasy of the dog world !!! :lol:

Hops are very bad for dogs. there are some nasty stories out there. It makes their metabolism go fast, they produce excess heat and cannot get rid of it.

Jeese no wonder I howl at night on a full moon after the IPA ,

there must be a bit of mongrel in me.

Pumpy :)

Hops are very bad for dogs. Do a google, there are some nasty stories out there. It makes their metabolism go fast, they produce excess heat and cannot get rid of it.

Sounds like the dog could use a beer.

I've been putting Grains & trub into a spare vege bed where 2009 Hops will be planted.
:rolleyes: Please Beer gods!!! Bless me with a crop!

Chooks have been flapping over the pen and scratching up vege bed to get at grains. I may have to bake one soon as an example to the others! :ph34r:

Lol... One of the regular customers at a fullers pub I used to work at used to routinely give his german shephard benny a pint of london pride... I wonder if that much hops is particularly bad :)

All my spent grains get dug into the vege garden.
I don't bother to compost them, and they will break down nicely in the soil in any event.
My soil is volcanic red clay, and anything I can add to help break it up is good.
Hops are OK to put in the compost, they're only vegetable matter after all.

Back