Comments on 150 Lashes recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diesel80 said:
Jim,

I wouldn't expect too much sweetness from an all malt beer, if the malt sugars are fermentable, then they will be fermented (provided the yeast is up to the job). There will not be much sweetness left.
The hop bitterness will be prominent at first but will fade over time. Your beer will probably be at its best about 3 weeks after you keg it, or about 5 if you bottle (edit: depending on how long your fermentation was, will depend on how much bottle conditioning is required).

Also you beer has made it down to 1.009 so will be quite dry given it is an all extract beer. I could never get mine below 1.012.

Not panic stations yet. I reckon with time it will morph into your best beer to date :)

Cheers,
D80
Thanks mate - I know, I know, need to learn patience with this hobby. Not one of my strengths!

carniebrew said:
Agreed, 1009 is quite a dry beer, so don't expect any sweetness. It does seem unusual that you were able to get an all malt brew down that low...normally I'll have to sub some extract for dextrose if I'm chasing a number sub 1012 as D80 pointed out.

Is that photo your actual recipe? In the original post you mentioned a can of Coopers Light LME, but I don't see it in that pic. It looks like you're brewing a more mid-strength beer, is that right? Looks like 3.5% before bottling, nearly 4% after bottle conditioning.
Yeah my Coopers APA kit brew used 0.5kg DME and 0.5kg DEX and got down to 1006 with recultured Coopers bottle yeast, which was one point below what was predicted by IanH's spreadsheet.

The image I posted was the final recipe - I used all dry extracts in the end. IanH's spreadsheet predicted FG of 1008 with this recipe, assuming 75% attenuation. Aiming for 4.2% after bottle conditioning so, yeah, a mid-strength (same alc content as JS 150 Lashes).

Just to update, I bottled this weekend and the wet dog has definitely faded. Can't say it tasted great, actually got more of the winey/piney taste that I've read about from NS.

I was drinking a bottle of commercial 150 lashes as I was bottling and thought at the time it was nothing like the beer I was bottling. However, had a couple of pints of 150 lashes on tap this evening and was shocked as I took my first swig and was hit with 'my' 150 lashes aroma. So maybe I'm not so far off after all :D

Just whacked a stubbie in the freezer for half an hour and poured a glass as I couldn't wait any longer. Been in the bottle for a grand total of 12 days.

Even at this early stage I'm really pleased with this one. So much better already than any of the kit brews I've done. Even under-carbed there's a nice amount of lacing, no trace of homebrew twang whatsoever, and the hops seem to work really well.

Chuffed...thanks for everyone's input!

Jim, you do realise that you are now officially 'hooked'. You have committed yourself to a life of experimenting with beer recipes.

Amber_Man said:
Jim, you do realise that you are now officially 'hooked'. You have committed yourself to a life of experimenting with beer recipes.
You're spot on - mashing my first all-grain (BIAB) with a homebrew in hand right now. This is very addictive :)

Back