Coming in Hot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMakAttack

Reaction score
Hey Legends,

Finally signing myself up to a forum because I have so many questions and I love to share whatever knowledge I've learned myself. I find the knowledge in this industry to be very elusive. I have a bit of experience working in a brewery and I've got heaps of friends who were involved in the industry but I've found that people hold tight to their knowledge like it some sort of golden egg. It can make it really frustrating to learn and expand.

I started brewing 2+ years ago and I went straight into all grain. I'm a Canadian who's lived in Australia for 10 years and when I moved here the craft beer scene was average at best, and a far cry from what North America had to offer. But now, holy hell has it come leaps and bounds, but its freakin exxy. I know that I can make as good or better beer then is available on the market today and over the last 9 months I have upgraded my homebrew system to epic proportions. Yesterday I did my very first brew on my new kit and I could not be happier. It's a New England IPA with kveik, and fermenting under pressure with the fermzilla. I'm on rainwater as well so I've had to engineer a counterflow system, and I converted my old emersion chiller into HERMS and it all went pretty well yesterday. Some definite hiccups with the mash and sparge, but to be expected.

Excited to be involved here and look forward to meeting you legends.

Attachments

• 20220313_100120.mp4
    40.9 MB
The one downer I see in your setup is that you probably take it apart between brews and haul back and forth to a "shed" (that's Australian for "basement.").

Craft breweries were early in some parts of Canada, but late in others. In St. Johns in '97 for the Cabot anniversary I found none and also discovered that the once-satisfying Black Horse Ale had gone to merde. Now I hear there's a bunch of good ones there. Even Churchill has one, I suppose with separate bars for people and polar bears.

The one downer I see in your setup is that you probably take it apart between brews and haul back and forth to a "shed" (that's Australian for "basement.").

Craft breweries were early in some parts of Canada, but late in others. In St. Johns in '97 for the Cabot anniversary I found none and also discovered that the once-satisfying Black Horse Ale had gone to merde. Now I hear there's a bunch of good ones there. Even Churchill has one, I suppose with separate bars for people and polar bears.
Hahaha yes we drink do drink with the bears, it's part of being Canadian 🤣
I'm from the west coast so epic beer is part of our blood.

And you're on point, I do have to take down my setup and move it into the brew kitchen when finished. After everything is left hanging in every available space to dry for a few days. I'm a bit OCD so my need for organisation is a bit much in that regard. But it works, for now. I suspect 1hr of my brew day is set up and take down.

Long-term goal is to turn a corner of my large shed (aka Canadian basement) into a brew station. But that involves better drainage, hot water heater, and some sort of separation from the mess I make out there building. That's a whole lot of work that I don't have the energy for for quite a while. Gotta keep a plan on the cards right 🍺💭

Back