Colour Change?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrath

Reaction score
Guys,

Needing some assistance here.

I have put down a Munich Dunkel and after taking some recent hydro samples, it would appear that the colour has drastically lightened from what it was prior to pitching. Grain bill and brief process as follows -

23L batch
Munich I - 88%
Wey Pils - 10%
Carafa II - 2%

Hallertauer to 27ibu

Brewmate gives me around 14srm (although I suspect it was just a touch darker than this initially)

No chilled, aerated, Pitched 3l starter (decanted spent wort) of 2308. It has been in primary for about 2 weeks at 10degrees.

When I pitched this, the beer was rich and dark in colour, now it appears to be quite a way lighter than its original form. Possibly lighter than a marzen I'm currently brewing also.

Has anyone experienced this before or can give me some insight as to why this may occur?

Further to this, for a remedy I am thinking some sinamar extract? Have not used this before so any experience with this is also appreciated.

Cheers

Aaron

Your wort straight out of the kettle is always going to be alot darker than the finished product.

As an example have a search of youtube timelapse fermentation videos and you'll see as the yeast eats the sugaz, shits out alcohol and farts Co2 the beer will become much lighter.

In my opinion, don't worry about the colour untill at least after fermentation is complete. If your calcs are right in the software you should have nothing to worry about. And it's not the end of the world if it's a touch lighter than expected... next time use darker malts to achieve what you want. Or... wait till packaging and add some sinimar if you really want it to be the colour you want.

I had this problem with a recent Baltic porter. Went from opaque to middling copper when I bottled it.

If I'd actually tasted it at bottling time (usually do, dunno why not on this occaision) I'd have found out instantly. A couple of days later when I went to bottle a middling UK ale, I found it had unexpectedly gone pitch black. Blue cubes - full of beer in secondary they all look much the same, and if you didn't label them carefully...

T.

Back