Cold Vs Warm Conditioning Of Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a question related to Conditioning of Beer.

I have purchased a racking cube (Jerry Can) from the local beer supplies shop in North Sydney and rack the beer from Primary after fermentation is complete. This is for 2 reasons, the first is to get it off the yeast cake and the second if to free up the fermentor for the next batch.

I've been able to empy an old beer fridge in the garage and at the lowest setting (high Temp) it maintains about 15 deg C. It holds 3 jerry cans of beer (60 Litres). I add a samll about of Dex (36g) to the racking cube to generate a small amount of CO2 to form a layer over the beer. When I get a chance, maybe up to 2 weeks later I bottle and prime as per normal.

What is best for the beer? Fermenting in the cube for a week or more at say 24deg or a week at 15deg.

What's wrong with the process described above? What gets the best results and how would the process differ when using kegs.

BOG

don't bother with the Dexy, fill the jerry as full as possible or squeeze the excess air out and chill to ~0.5-1C

I am new to HB myself, but I understand from my Local HBS that by racking at a very low temp will drop almost all of the yeast out, which is fine for beer destined for the keg but not good for bottles. This is because the beer needs a little bit of yeast still in the bottle to react with the sugar to gas them up. More enlightened minds, correct me if I'm wrong.

even though it looks clear, unless you freeze the beer, there'll be enough yeast to fizz the bottles.
Some HBS people say some strange stuff.

I am new to HB myself, but I understand from my Local HBS that by racking at a very low temp will drop almost all of the yeast out, which is fine for beer destined for the keg but not good for bottles. This is because the beer needs a little bit of yeast still in the bottle to react with the sugar to gas them up. More enlightened minds, correct me if I'm wrong.

MMM not sure if that one is correct. I have left beer cubed in my fridge for up to two weeks at around 4 degree's racked it off and bottled, all turned out fine. Just a note to other brewers when I rack I actually siphon the beer off the top not through a tap on the bottom.Wine tanks have racking valves about a 2-3 foot off of the bottom of the tank.(Depending on the size of the tank)This enables the juice or wine to be "racked off". Some brewers I know do come off the bottom of their cube. What is the general consensus about racking?

According to Ross, even filtering will leave enough yeast in suspension to carbonate, even though the beer looks crystal clear.

It isn't easy to get rid of all the yeast!

What is the difference between just storing the beer in the cube at 24deg (Room temp in my place) and putting it in the fridge?

Will the beer mature faster in the fridge or at room temp?

BOG

According to Ross, even filtering will leave enough yeast in suspension to carbonate, even though the beer looks crystal clear.

It isn't easy to get rid of all the yeast!

I done this for the first time 3 weeks ago, (secondary ferment/ Racking/ cold conditioning)I wondered the same, will it gas? tried it just yesterday and to much co2 in the bottle, I mean it was to gassy for my taste so next time should I use less primming sugar?
Or does'nt it reduce with age? As it is only 2 weeks in the bottle tomorrow.

As per the main Question: I think beer does brew quicker warmer, but colder the better the taste ( I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I am sure that is how it is) as per my experience.

Cold conditioning (fridge temperatures) will aid in clearing the beer by flocculating out particles normally dissolved at fermentation temperature. These particles drop to the bottom and you can rack off of them after conditioning is finished. This technique is also called lagering as most good lagers go through a decent period of conditioning. Not too sure on the technical details but it can aid in clearing up any unwanted esters, some off-flavours, etc.

With warm conditioning there is more action done by the yeast, and has the same effect as leaving it bottled beer to "mature". However whilst the beer is conditioning as a batch (rather than smaller volums in bottles), conditioning is faster.

To answer your question, you beer will mature faster at yeast fermentation temperatures (20Cish), but will mature differently at fridge temperatures.

it they're too gassy after 2x weeks, chill them and drink now.
they'll only get fizzier.
either you used too much sugar or fermentation wasn't quite finished.

I done this for the first time 3 weeks ago, (secondary ferment/ Racking/ cold conditioning)I wondered the same, will it gas? tried it just yesterday and to much co2 in the bottle, I mean it was to gassy for my taste so next time should I use less primming sugar?
Or does'nt it reduce with age? As it is only 2 weeks in the bottle tomorrow.

Shouldnt reduce with age as the bottles are sealed. Reduce the amount of priming sugar next time, there are some priming calculators around (check the calcs section) which can help better estimate the amount of priming sugar needed for your brew.

As per the main Question: I think beer does brew quicker warmer, but colder the better the taste ( I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I am sure that is how it is) as per my experience.

Yes, correct. The consumation rate of the sugars by the yeast is proportional to temperature. At higher temperatures the yeast is too hyper to properly digest the sugars resulting in byproducts such as fusel alcohols and esters (which are sometimes sought after). etc. Cooler fermentation (still within yeast activity temperature range) will nearly always result in a cleaner, albeit slower fermenting beer.

it they're too gassy after 2x weeks, chill them and drink now.
they'll only get fizzier.
either you used too much sugar or fermentation wasn't quite finished.

I thought they reduce in size (the bubbles) over time. What if Iput them in the fridge will that slow the process down, also wont it aid in flavour like a lagering over weeks?

u could try recapping a bottle or two.

When some overprime, the solution is to recap them to stop them being bottle bombs, so u might get lucky that way :)

I like the "drink them now solution" so I might watch the world club challenge replay and a few, and see if my first batch is good, by the one I am drinking now i think some hops for flavour or more malt less water as it does not have alot of taste.

Back