cold or warm beer from the bottlo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsonAd

Reaction score
I'm often faced with this conundrum. I see a great beer at the bottle shop but I'm on my way somewhere that means the beer will sit in the car for a few hours.

Now I know that most beers (particularly hoppy ones) benefit from cold storage, however is also know that fluctuations in temp also degrade the beer. So what is the best choice. If I take the one from the shelf I won't be fluctuating temps while it's in the car but then again the fridge beer will have been at a stable and cold temp for however long it's been in the shop. So which do you choose? (First world problems are a bitch)

Fluctuation is mostly irrelevant except that the higher temp accelerates reactions and lower temp retards them. Grab the cold ones.

hot chicks.....cold beers.

simple philosophy

if they're glass, UV exposure would also be a consideration, esp. for hoppy ones yeah?

IsonAd said:
the fridge beer will have been at a stable and cold temp for however long it's been in the shop.
No. The fridge beer would have been - generally - transported warm, stored warm and then added to the fridge for consumption.

I recently got told by an attendee that they preferred to sell warm beer as it reduced 'travel shock.'
I'd prefer they bought a bigger fridge.

Like stated, I think it's more important that the beer has spent more time refrigerated and has warmed a little than the beer that has been unrefrigerated for God knows how long. It's a shame in some bottlo's that some of the more 'crafty' beers or imports are kept at room temp.

indica86 said:
Really? Some actually GAF?
Some do yes and some exporting breweries insist on cold transport and storage before allowing shipment of product.

Any ideas which ones? I'd like to taste beer with the intended flavour.
Some of the best bought beer I had recently was from Bridge Rd. Them to me on 4 days.

When I was younger I worked at a bottle shop. I remember having a discussion with the boss about beer getting cold, then warm, then cold again. He seemed to think it made the beer go 'oily'. As an ex-scientist and a chemistry teacher I can't really think of any decent mechanism for this. Perhaps it is more of a problem of extreme hot temps like said above, ie heat degradation/UV occurring to a sixpack sitting on the back seat of car on a hot day.

Maybe put it down in the urban myth column?

Pretty sure it's irrelevant. I do know that particles move in and out of excitation states with environmental changes and rapid excitation/relaxation with temperature and humidity fluctuations which can lead to things like wood or paint layers cracking but the real effect on beer flavour is dubious as far as I understand. Presumably continual spikes might lead to something but simply bringing to room temp then back to fridge temp once or twice isn't meant to do much.
@indica - phoenix distro are pretty on to it as far as I know, breweries like sierra nevada insist on cold transport. I don't have a comprehensive list though, I'm sorry.

Not sure it would be an issue in most major bottlo's, turnover of major stock would be fast enough that they wouldn't age perceptibly.

On a side note, when I first moved to QLD 20 years ago, a carton from the coolroom was $3.00 more than the warm carton on the shop floor, most Qlders took the warm ones. When I lived in NSW you never bought a warm carton.

Straya mate ! , Eskies don't take up much room in a car, and truth be told they are useful.

Got it. Hot chicks in the car holding my esky full of cold beer that was distributed cold directly to the bottlo fridge. Should be easy enough.

IIRC chill haze can become permanent haze when cycled through numerous heat/cool cycles. I think it is due to tannins covalently bonding to the protein. Not sure how relevant that is with most commercial brews.

Latest posts

Back