Cold Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thirstyboy-
Does the formation and precipitation of chill haze when CC'ing assist in the yeast dropping in any way? For that matter does chill haze actually "drop" out or just goes back into solution when the beer warms, without finings?

It has been my belief that CC'ing, fining and filtering are used to condition the beer faster (and assist in a longer life for the packaged product).

I have also noticed a drop in hop aroma and flavour when utilising those processes and have had to adjust my recipes to replicate those brewed previously and have had nothing but Father Time to clear and condition.

Regarding cold conditioning and adding finings:

I've read both "transfer to secondary and chill before adding finings" and "add finings while transferring to secondary and then chill". Anyone with experience have anything to say about which gives better results? Same? Etc?

depends on the finings used...

Yes, I can find information relating to solubility of oxygen is greater at lower a temperature but not on the actual absorbtion of oxygen at different temperatures from the air (at sea level)
No wonder you can't find it...
Search for absorption of oxygen at different temperatures

;)

Ive recently started racking to secondary into gelatine then CCing, great results clarity wise, my standard practice now, though often wonder the effect of having all that oxygen at the top of the cube, any point of adding a 30g of dex at this point to fill this space with co2 ?

Ive recently started racking to secondary into gelatine then CCing, great results clarity wise, my standard practice now, though often wonder the effect of having all that oxygen at the top of the cube, any point of adding a 30g of dex at this point to fill this space with co2 ?

I use to have the same concern and would hold back some dex or LDM from the recipe to do as you suggested above. After a lot of reading and talking to brewers, I am convinced that absorbed Co2 is released when racking and fills the head space.
I rarely rack anymore unless it is a brew I need to get ready quickly.

Can anyone here compare using gelatine, waiting a day and bottling vs cold chilling and waiting X days ?

Regarding cold conditioning and adding finings:

I've read both "transfer to secondary and chill before adding finings" and "add finings while transferring to secondary and then chill". Anyone with experience have anything to say about which gives better results? Same? Etc?

Not quite what you asked but you may be interested in a 2010 "Basic Brewing Radio" experiment. ie. 'time' is a factor...

I wonder if the batches would look different at all at 14 days?

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/6/9/e/69e63b58a8bf4...mp;c_id=1876423

my understanding was you chill and then add, although I only use polyclar however I am certain that's how your 'suppose' to use it

Beer, standard strength, will not freeze at -1C or -2C and will only just start forming microscopic ice crystals at -3C, just maybe. Why? alcohol, residual sugar, proteins and other solids and gasses.

Steve

+1
Dunno about -3, I always use -2 (that's not to say my thermometer is 100% accurate). Last batch I CC'd in the primary @ -2c for5 days.....had a 10mm-ish icey layer sitting on top of the frozen yeast cake (the solid).....most i've seen with racked batches is a 1mm-ish icey layer on top of the solids that have settled.

Latest posts

Back