Cold Conditioning Oops - With Video

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete2501

Reaction score
Last night I figured the APA had been CC'ing long enough. When I took the carboy out of the fridge I heard that ice slushy sound :eek:

I figured meh and kept going. Accidental experiments are cool right? Hell yeah! My fridgemate couldn't have come sooner :rolleyes:

- 4mins of not much

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool man ... I mean really cool :lol:

Let us know how it goes ... if it improves the beer we'll all be doing it!

:icon_cheers: ghhb

Cool man ... I mean really cool :lol:

Let us know how it goes ... if it improves the beer we'll all be doing it!

:icon_cheers: ghhb

I love the laboured puns. :beer:

Based on a previous thread I'm anticipating some alcohol warmth not native to the style. Because the beer was so damn cold I couldn't detect an increase in flavours so we'll just have to wait and see. ;)

At the risk of asking the dumbest question ever posted here, is this how they make ice beer?
I know its got something to do with freezing - erm - something, which removes or changes.....something else....like...you know?

...yeah...

At the risk of asking the dumbest question ever posted here, is this how they make ice beer?
I know its got something to do with freezing - erm - something, which removes or changes.....something else....like...you know?

...yeah...

Trusty wikipedia says ...

Eisbock is a traditional Kulmbach specialty beer that is made by freeze distilling a doppelbock and removing the ice to concentrate the flavor and alcohol content. Alcohol content ranges from 9% to 40% by volume. It is deep copper to dark brown in color, often with ruby highlights. Head retention is frequently impaired by the higher alcohol content. It has a rich, sweet malty flavor, balanced by a significant alcohol presence. It has a clean, lager character with no hop flavor. Examples include Schneider Aventinus Eisbock, Kulmbacher Reichelbrau Eisbock, Eggenberg Urbock Dunkel Eisbock, Niagara Eisbock, and Southampton Eisbock.

ABV 9% to 40% :huh: :super:

Eisbock is a traditional Kulmbach specialty beer that is made by freeze distilling a doppelbock and removing the ice to concentrate the flavor and alcohol content. Alcohol content ranges from 9% to 40% by volume. It is deep copper to dark brown in color, often with ruby highlights. Head retention is frequently impaired by the higher alcohol content. It has a rich, sweet malty flavor, balanced by a significant alcohol presence. It has a clean, lager character with no hop flavor. Examples include Schneider Aventinus Eisbock, Kulmbacher Reichelbrau Eisbock, Eggenberg Urbock Dunkel Eisbock, Niagara Eisbock, and Southampton Eisbock.

Well I'll be buggered.

Figuratively speaking.

Not quite as straightforward as just freezing a Dopplebock, you would want to design a beer with the end process in mind so that you maintain a nice balance and profile - otherwise all you will do is intensify the flavours and the end result may not be entirely what you are looking for.

That said, done properly, Eisbock can result in a pretty nice beer.

That said, done properly, Eisbock can result in a pretty nice beer.

You mean like a Weihenstephaner Korbinian? :chug:

Or a Weihenstephaner Korbinian in a sexy stein with a pewter lid?? :icon_drool2:

Also I notice that the article mentions nothing about an Ale being a Bock.

Nah, Korbinian is just an average dopplebock. Bloody nice though!

Did you manage to measure the amount of liquid collected and the amount of liquid left?
That should give you an indication of how strong and concertrated it is.

More importantly, how's it taste!?

It was about 2 litres of water.

It should have been a 4.8% and minus 2litres it works out to be about 5.28%.

So nothing special. I guess for a Bock you'd need to freeze much more water to reach higher alcohol levels. I'm glad it isn't too high though. This is meant to be an APA after all.

Ah the thing about taste is that the beer was so god damn cold I couldn't taste it. I did get a slight alcohol warmth come through but only slightly so It's not too out of character for an APA. The part I tried was the dregs so it was mixed up with a bit of yeast. I'll give it a taste tonight though in about 4 hrs. I'm interested to see if this batch tastes much different to others I've made.

Edit: Missed the taste question.

Or a Weihenstephaner Korbinian in a sexy stein with a pewter lid?? :icon_drool2:

Also I notice that the article mentions nothing about an Ale being a Bock.

Schneider's aventinus weizen-eisbock is the only variety I've tasted. Very tasty and rich

ICEBERG!!!!

How does it taste?

It tastes pretty good actually. The only thing wrong is it's bittering ratio is out of wack. During my 5 min hop addition the pot erupted and I lost a fair bit of hops so whoops.

I can quite easily knock back a few. This keg won't last long. If anyone is from Perth I've bottled some and will bring it along to the next West Coast Brewers meeting. :)

Schneider's aventinus weizen-eisbock is the only variety I've tasted. Very tasty and rich

Oh dude you've got to try the Korbinian :icon_drool2:

Ok. I think I'll have to stuff this one up again. I'm on my... I can't remember what pint but it's still good. :chug:

Latest posts

Back