Cold Conditioning For Too Long?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
If I cold condition my fermenter for too long after reaching FG can I risk dropping all yeast out of suspension and then not having any to bottle condition with?

Ive had a brew sitting at 1 C for what will be 10 days by the time I get to bottle it on Wednesday night.

If so is there something I can do to rouse the yeast back up? Let it warm up, give it a gentle swirl, then CC again for a few days???

There will be plenty of yeast left to provide for carbonation.

If it had been 10 weeks at 0 degrees, it might be a little iffy, but with less than 2 weeks, you'll be fine.

i would just bottle it, it will take a while to carb up anyway with winter here unless you keep them "warm"

No worries will bottle it as is.

Ive noticed in this colder weather its taking 4 weeks plus for my beer to carb up as it is. I keep them under the stairs and open the door when the heaters on to try and keep them warm. Ambient under there is around 15C.

Thanks gents.

If I cold condition my fermenter for too long after reaching FG can I risk dropping all yeast out of suspension and then not having any to bottle condition with?

Ive had a brew sitting at 1 C for what will be 10 days by the time I get to bottle it on Wednesday night.

If so is there something I can do to rouse the yeast back up? Let it warm up, give it a gentle swirl, then CC again for a few days???

I had one batch on 1 degrees for 7 days and bottled, it carbed up fine.

you could rack into a secondary doing a bulk prime and new yeast.

You could swirl, but then it's almost killed the reason to CC

you could keg and CPBF

According to the Yeast Book beer can look perfectly clear to the human eye yet still contain n million yeast cells per ml where n is a large number believe me (Can't be bothered to leaf though the book, an E version would be the go). I've regularly bottled crystal clear beers in the past and they come up perfectly but often take a few weeks. Daily tipping helps.

It will be fine. i had an amber ale in cc for ages. Easter till the 9th of june and it fermented 3 weeks earlier. i am testing one now and it carbed up nicely (although still a tad flat) after 9 days in the bottle.

When I went to Europe last year, I left a brew lagering for 7 weeks at the coldest my brew fridge would go down to.

Absolutely no problem getting the brew to carbonate in the bottle.

I'd say, go for it, stop worrying, and enjoy a beer or two.

According to the Yeast Book beer can look perfectly clear to the human eye yet still contain n million yeast cells per ml where n is a large number believe me (Can't be bothered to leaf though the book, an E version would be the go).
It also says not to expect any problems bottle conditioning due to lack of yeast, unless the beer is stored for a long time (many weeks/month(s)) before bottling.

Did that to a beer, racked off the yeast cake into demijohns as my old bar fridge wouldn't take a fermenter. Put them in at 0 for more than a week, no problem at all.

Also. Do a search. Ffs

....Daily tipping helps.

Ive always thought they had to be kept alone, in the dark, scared and afraid.

So your saying I can and should tip them on a daily basis? Will give that a try with the brew I bottled last night and see if it increases my carb time.

Thanks gents.

Ive always thought they had to be kept alone, in the dark, scared and afraid.

So your saying I can and should tip them on a daily basis? Will give that a try with the brew I bottled last night and see if it increases my carb time.

Thanks gents.

You can definitely invert them a few times every week or so. It will rouse up all the yeast and any mix any other sugars into solution. All it takes is some patience, which I don't have a lot of when it comes to carbonating in the bottle.... :) Get a kegging system and you'll never bottle again! :)

You can definitely invert them a few times every week or so. It will rouse up all the yeast and any mix any other sugars into solution. All it takes is some patience, which I don't have a lot of when it comes to carbonating in the bottle.... :) Get a kegging system and you'll never bottle again! :)
Except when the kegs are all full and you wanna brew something else. Then back to bottles you go.

*insert smart arse comment*

Back