Cold Conditioning for a Kolsch?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elollerenshaw

Reaction score
I am brewing a Kit/Extract Kolsch style ale using the appropriate Wyeast liquid yeast.

Would there be any benefit in cold conditioning after fermentation is complete, prior to bottling.?
Say for 2-4 wks at 2-4 degree's C. Idea being to still produce an ale, but one that is closer to a lager, i.e. flavoursome but not offensive to the mainstream public.

If so, is it important to rack the beer off the yeast cake prior to conditioning?

Maybe someone can direct me to previous threads that cover the question of racking/transferring (if and when to do it?)

Yes. Cc is a good idea. I do it for 90+% of beers. Kolsch should be clear and clean so it's definitely one that would benefit.
Racking is up to you but if you do it carefully and at the right time, it will result in less sediment needing to be dealt with. I would consider racking to bulk prime after cold conditioning.

OK in that case could I still re-use the yeast (with the help of a starter) for another batch.?
Just concerned about the long time the yeast would be sitting there, with it's health degrading.
i.e. an extra 2-4 wks than otherwise.

Absolutely yes to cold conditioning with kolsch. Some kolsch yeasts throw some pretty noxious flavors that are dropped out by cold conditioning. You can almost certainly re-start the yeast after that length of conditioning.

Back