Coffee in stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanboy

Reaction score
When I was in Ireland I had some guiness from the brewery and it was creamy and had a strong after taste of coffee. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried adding coffee to their stouts or beer for more flavor. When I was back in oz it just tasted like dirty dish washing water with no creamy coffee taste at all.

Im drinking a Porter now that I put coffee in for the first time. VERY VERY NICE!. So I just used a large plunger coffee press and fairly coarse ground 100 grams of nice coffee beans and put cooled boiled water in the press and let it steep for a couple days. I gave it a stir a couple times. Then when I came to keg I pressed the coffee and added to keg. I guess there was about 400mls of strong coffee added to the 19 litre keg. Very nice, just a nice hint of coffee but not too strong. Maybe I would go 150g next? But there was no bitterness extracted from the cold press method. Well worth doing.

Steve

Back