Cocoa Nibs - Chocolate Vanilla Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
250g for $5 at Aldi at present. Sprayed only with organic pesticides, so it's organic.

Pratty1 said:
^ what was your dose rate and time in the beer?
It was give or take 150 grams added late in the boil, but that was in an export stout (22L) so hidden behind the malta a little. I'd be confident to go 150 in a porter.
I've heard of some brewers adding cocoa, but since cocao has had the fat squeezed out during processing I figured that was the better option. Plus I get the health benefits of all those organic enzymes and antioxidants to boot.

^ thanks for the info.

I think for a first time I will just aim for 150g of nibs and 2 vanilla beans and for just 7days. Depending on flavour/aromas I will adjust from there.

Off to the shops to get the nibs.

djgilmore said:
I got some from ALDI a couple of weeks ago, they may still have some. They look raw not toasted.
These are the Aldi ones I got. Defo already toasted, but I did them lightly again.

They smell great afterwards. A handful is going into a Manuka smoked stout this afternoon.

image.jpg

Planning this beer for Easter Monday and no chilled, will be fermenting onto a US05 yeast cake slurry approx 1lt @ 22c

OG 1052
FG 1.013
IBU 31
ABV 5.2%
EBC 65

Mashed @ 68c for 60mins

70% Golden Promise ( Maris Otter from bulk buy not ready yet )
10% Munich
5% Chocolate Malt
5% Medium Crystal
4% Flaked Oats
3% Dark Crystal
3% Black Patent

60min Boil

Chinook @ 60mins = 27ibu
Chinook Cube = 4ibu

After primary ferment is complete, I will transfer to secondary onto the Cocoa and Vanilla Beans

150g - Cocoa Nibs ( yet to purchase )
2 x Vanilla Bean - sliced, scrapped and diced.

:)

Pratty1 said:
Planning this beer for Easter Monday and no chilled, will be fermenting onto a US05 yeast cake slurry approx 1lt @ 22c

OG 1052
FG 1.013
IBU 31
ABV 5.2%
EBC 65

Mashed @ 68c for 60mins

70% Golden Promise ( Maris Otter from bulk buy not ready yet )
10% Munich
5% Chocolate Malt
5% Medium Crystal
4% Flaked Oats
3% Dark Crystal
3% Black Patent

60min Boil

Chinook @ 60mins = 27ibu
Chinook Cube = 4ibu

After primary ferment is complete, I will transfer to secondary onto the Cocoa and Vanilla Beans

150g - Cocoa Nibs ( yet to purchase )
2 x Vanilla Bean - sliced, scrapped and diced.

:)
Just wondering how this one turned out?

Also I was wondering as I don't do secondary could I simply add the vanilla / cacao nibs to primary after initial fermentation has complete without too much difference? Like a 10 day dry hop with vanilla / cacao instead?

If you're not sure about how much to add you can make a tincture by steeping the nibs or vanilla beans in a neutral spirit, like vodka, for a couple of weeks and then add to taste in the fermenter. Have done this with cacao nibs into a chocolate stout and it worked well.

Hi,

I was able to get this fermented with US05, using a 1Lt slurry from the previous batch yeast cake. Pitched at 20c and fermentation started within 2hrs and the krausen was about 8inches high @ 8hrs, nearly reached the top of the old coopers fermenter. After 72hrs the krausen had dropped out and I left it for another 4days to clean up before transfer. The night be fore transfer to secondary I dropped the temp to 17c to get as much yeast out of the beer.

I went with Organic nibs from Coles in a 200g bag. I forgot to take some pictures, I think I still have 50g in the bag. I opened up the 2 vanilla beans and scrapped out all the goo and then chopped up the bean. I transferred the beer into the secondary stainless FV and when about 5-6litres was transferred I added the nibs and beans. closed it up and ste the temp for 18.5c. So another 7days at that temp and I will be bottling this for the midyear case swap.

Could you add direct to the primary, you could. I'm not sure if its the same as the with hops and that the yeast tends to take a lot of the oils extracted which may do the same to the nibs/beans.

contrarian said:
If you're not sure about how much to add you can make a tincture by steeping the nibs or vanilla beans in a neutral spirit, like vodka, for a couple of weeks and then add to taste in the fermenter. Have done this with cacao nibs into a chocolate stout and it worked well.
I was thinking about that method however after a lot of reading many people skip that process, certainly worth trying it as some reported that it got 2 benefits, better extraction of flavours and also a method of sterilizing them before adding to the beer.

Unroasted beans have a very high micro load on them (moulds, yeast and bacteria) as they come from big fermenting heaps in tropical countries.
Roasted ones are not so contaminated but still far from sterile.

Roasting helps to develop flavour in addition to killing most of the nasties.

For roasting at home oven: single layer in a pan, spread apart, temperature at 155C for 10-15 minutes.
Cool down and crack, separate nibs from the shell for best flavour.

The beer has been 3wks since packaging/bottling for the case swap.

I put one into the fridge today and will open that tonight and report back.

WP_20160420_005.jpg

WP_20160420_009.jpg

WP_20160420_007.jpg

Certainly had choc aroma and flavour from the gravity sample.

I made a choc oatmeal stout on Monday that called for 150g of cocoa nibs soaked in bourbon for 4 days thrown in the fermenter after 5 days of fermentation. Do you think I should toast them also? I guess the grog should kill any nasties? Gunna use over proof Bundy just for something different.

I believe they are already toasted when you get them, not sure if it brings out any more choc flavour.

I just did 300g in spirits for a week. very dark chocolate smell, delicious.

Just checked the pack. It says They are raw. Might toast them them soak them

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1462950896.657970.jpg

Yep. Raw. I'm really looking forward to toasting them now. [emoji106][emoji481]

Curly79 said:
I made a choc oatmeal stout on Monday that called for 150g of cocoa nibs soaked in bourbon for 4 days thrown in the fermenter after 5 days of fermentation. Do you think I should toast them also? I guess the grog should kill any nasties? Gunna use over proof Bundy just for something different.
I didnt roast or soak mine, if the flavour of this one is lower than expected it could be an option for the next batch.

Are you going to rack to secondary to avoid the nibs landing in the yeast?

Mine didn't say raw but that is quite clear, I figured the roasting killed nasties and was a part of the process so thanks for adding that.

I put mine in a sanitised stocking into my beer, along with some coconut and cherries (cherry ripe stout).

250g for $5 is a great buy, I think I paid $17 for 500g

Pratty1 said:
I didnt roast or soak mine, if the flavour of this one is lower than expected it could be an option for the next batch.

Are you going to rack to secondary to avoid the nibs landing in the yeast?
Wasn't going to Pratty? Do you mean that this will stop the flavours coming through?

Latest posts

Back