Cocoa Nibs - Chocolate Vanilla Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been making a few porters and now I am ready to move this style into a more flavoursome beer with the additions of cocoa nibs and vanilla bean. I read through this maltose falcons link and there is some handy hints. http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/formulating-and-brewing-winning-chocolate-porter

I wont be using that recipe, Im using my own that I've made and tuned a few times over the past 12 months The vanilla bean is good to go but I'd like to know - What cocoa nibs to use ?? Can I get them from coles, organic store, online, which have you used before ?

Recipe

Chocolate Vanilla Porter

OG - 1.058
FG - 1.014
ABV - 5.7%
IBU - 32
EBC - 60 ish

68% Maris Otter
15% Vienna or Munich
5% Dark Crystal
3% Med Crystal
6% Chocolate
3% Black Patent

Mashed at 67c for 1 hour - bicarbonate levels adjusted with chalk to achieve 200pm

Boil 60mins

Chinook @ 60m = 28ibu
Cascade @ 10m = 4ibu

Fermented with WLP023 - Burton Ale yeast @ 18c for 7days ( finishing ferment on 22c, gradual rise after 3days )

Transfer to secondary, racking beer onto the Vanilla Bean and Cocoa nibs and leave for 5-7days.

2 x Vanilla Bean
140g x Cocoa nibs

Anyone used cocoa nibs before ? should i be soaking them in vodka or anything to sanitize them...?

Hi mants, I thought that cocoa nibs were already toasted?

if not does the toasted increase the flavour utilization?

I seen some at woolies which didn't state if they were raw or not. What is your procedure to toast them? What temps and time?

They are stocked at the Essential Ingredient. Roselle and Alexandria, from memory you're on the Nth Beaches so not super close unfortunately?

The ones I got I used plain, they were already a brown colour and smelt like chocolate. I soaked them in vodka for a week and threw the whole lot in. Thinking was extracting some of the oil based compounds which will dissolve in alcohol but not water based bee.

If using green beans I guess you would have to roast them first?

Pratty1 said:
I seen some at woolies which didn't state if they were raw or not. What is your procedure to toast them? What temps and time?
In moderate oven till aromatic.
Can also dry toast in pan. Sorry - no specifics - just hot till it smells good (and it smells good).

Gday Pratty,
I made a Chocolate Vanilla Hazelnut stout last year.
for a 22L batch I used 450g Cacao nibs, 2 vanilla beans and 300g of hazelnuts that i roasted myself.
These were added about a week after pitching yeast.and left in fermenter for another 16 days,(only left in that long due to my work roster meaning i was away)
After kegging, it was quite bitter, like dark chocolate, this then mellowed over a few months. Now it is a very smooth and chocolaty brew.

I got the cacao nibs from this place-
http://www.cravve.com.au/store/upload/index.php?route=common/home
TBH i dont know what ones they were lol

I just chucked em straight inalso added 250g dextrose at the same time, my theory was that might fire up the yeast and prevent infection, and also make some more CO2 to keep the fermenter fresh.No infection issues.
I was very concerned about the beer getting or keeping a head due to the oils in the cacoa and hazelnuts, but it isnt too bad.

Also, in hindsight for my brew, i would use more vanilla, and if i didnt love chocolate so much, less cacao :)

Some Coles stock them with the health foods - raw I think. It's a secret Mayan 'superfood' , so health food stores and fancy chemists stock it as well, although some charge a not so small fortune for it.

I got some from ALDI a couple of weeks ago, they may still have some. They look raw not toasted.

manticle said:
Secret mayan superfood?
Awesome.
I kid you not. Calling it a superfood doubles the price; adding secret and Mayan to the description adds a certain mystique and a dollar or two to the price. Reckon Pratty should call his porter 'super secret Mayan Porter Power'

I've used this a few times. Predictable and strong. Its to nibs what cocaine is to coca leaf. Available at a store near you.

769322.jpg

Back