Co2 In Perth?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay

Reaction score
Well I'm hoping to get a keg set up soon and was wondering what my best option for a CO2 bottle is.
How many of you hire?
How many own their own?
Do you have problems getting them filled?
Does anyone use the exchange bottles the some HBS have?

Cheers,
clay

Hi Clay

If you search on fire extinguisher you will find lots of discussion on whether the CO2 is food grade etc.

To me the most cost effective way is to buy a fire extinguisher. And the place in Perth to do that is John at Eversafe. Do a search on the company name to find details. Unlike a lot of fire extinguisher places mentioned on here, he will 1) remove the dip tube, 2) put a valve instead of a trigger on there, 3) happily sell it to you for brewing and 4) happily refill it.

how much does he charge?
the only thing that had put me off using one was the concerns about leaking trigger.

Anyone want to buy a new paintball cylinder adapter?

lol

edit: hows that, he is less than 5 mins from my work. Nice!

Has anyone used this setup with a micromatic regulator?

I think he is out of extinguisers, as I picked up "the last one" a few weeks ago,

So long as he is getting more in I don't mind. Still have to order my regulator, build the font, and brew some beer :D

So have a month or so before I need one.

Just tried ringing him, but he's out and about apparently.

Clay, I started out with a BOC gas bottle. They cost a lot - $130 a year rental plus $37 a refill from memory.

Thankfully, Doogiechap put me onto the extinguishers from John at Eversafe mentioned above. He's a very nice bloke and even dropped my bottle off to me in Freo as he is on the road a lot. It cost $175 for the extinguisher which comes full. I'd go for that as I haven't seen anything near that price. If you have an old extinguisher, he can modify it too. The top of the bottle, threads etc match those of any BOC bottle and so will take any CO2 regulator.

The only worry with an extinguisher I think is the cost of re-fills. About 6 months ago I had a leak in a new set-up and ran out of gas. I rang around everywhere and the few I could find were charging over $50!

Rang John and he put me onto the mob he uses in Catalano Circuit (near the corner of Catalano Road - big factory) in Canning Vale. I can't remember their name (something like Australian Safety/Fire Solutions) but Doogie might have it buried in an old email I'm hoping as I couldn't find them in the phone book just then and you do need their number.*

They charge $22 :icon_cheers:

So if you deal with John (9493 2044) make a note of the refill mob as the catch is, *you need to ring them before driving out there to make sure that they are doing a run of CO2 refills. If you don't ring, you'll end up having to leave your bottle there for their next run.

Spot,
Pat

Dude at TWOC has reasonable deals on gas too. I was looking at going that way. As it stands I hire my bottles from BOC, a 'D' Size cylinder costs ~$110/yr to rent, and just under $40 to fill. Last bottle lasted 2yrs.

Back