Co2 Gas Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhino171

Reaction score
I went to my local HBS the other day to get my first gas bottle and lease agreement, as I am about to start kegging.

I nearly fell over when the guy told me the yearly lease agreement was $129.50.

Three weeks ago it was 17.95. Thats some price rise huh!

I didn't get it. Told them to stick it. It's not the HBS's fault. It was soley the gas supplier increase.

I found it cheaper elsewhere. Both the lease agreement and a fill.

Where do you guys get yours and for how much?

Thanks
Rhino.

I bought a "my kegs on legs" bottle approx. 12 months ago.
hav'nt had to refill it yet. :beerbang:
price was only $299 and I own it outright, no yearly fee.

I bought a "my kegs on legs" bottle approx. 12 months ago.
hav'nt had to refill it yet. :beerbang:
price was only $299 and I own it outright, no yearly fee.

That was an option also, but I don't know of anyone who could fill it down here. The major companies will only fill their own bottles, thereby forcing you into lease agreements.

That was an option also, but I don't know of anyone who could fill it down here. The major companies will only fill their own bottles, thereby forcing you into lease agreements.

Bastards arent they :angry: But there are always ways around it.

BYB

Same happened to me, :angry:

So went to local tip and was lucky enough to find a large gas bottle with the words "BEERGAS" on the side of it.

Also got a friend who can fill for me free of charge :D

the bottle has 4 year before needing re-testing

So to the gas company.....you can jam ya gas and bottle. If it wasn't for the price increase i would have been happy to pay,

but your not getting $130 from me, rent a year

jeddog

Have a look at the 'My Keg-on-Legs' web site - locations -and you will see who the HBS supplier in your area is. Cost of the bottle is $299 and you own it forever, cost of the refill is about $40.00.

Cheers, Hoges.

Just to point out to any Melbourne newbies, it wasn't really a "price increase".

All of the suppliers tend to charge around $120 a year in cylinder hire, but the local rep for Air Liquide down here was kind enough to strike a deal with various homebrew stores, so that we could hire their last few steel cylinders for a much lower fee.

As the steel cylinders reached their retest date they were decommissioned, and I guess they finally ran out.

I still think $120 is a bit steep for a year's rental, but they didn't just suddenly increase the fee from $ 17 to $120 for no reason.

Well here in sunny Darwin it is $155 for 1 yr 'rent' + $67.00 for the gas each re-fill (including the first) - not happy my 'backyard' supplier has left the territory.
nt :beer:

i'd be interested to see statistics on the number of brewers who tell air liquide where to stick it when their current contracts run out. brewers are a thrifty bunch, I think most would seek out a better deal. it only takes ~2 years rental to almost cover a mykegonlegs bottle, owned forever

i'd be interested to see statistics on the number of brewers who tell air liquide where to stick it when their current contracts run out. brewers are a thrifty bunch, I think most would seek out a better deal. it only takes ~2 years rental to almost cover a mykegonlegs bottle, owned forever

Have done just that, except told BOC where they can put their cylinder.

Mykegonlegs 6.8 kg new and full $350.
Refills $45.

Looks better too.
Dosen't detract from brewery bling.

FROGMAN

Have a look at the 'My Keg-on-Legs' web site - locations -and you will see who the HBS supplier in your area is. Cost of the bottle is $299 and you own it forever, cost of the refill is about $40.00.

Cheers, Hoges.

As a matter of interest, are mykegsonlegs available to be filled with just Co2. I currently use a blend of
N2 & Co2. (60/40)

Back Yard Brewer

As a matter of interest, are mykegsonlegs available to be filled with just Co2. I currently use a blend of
N2 & Co2. (60/40)

Back Yard Brewer

If you looked at their site you'd have your answer ;)
Currently only in Sydney, it would appear.

cheers Ross

I for one Lucas will be going the Mykegsonlegs deal or what ever I can find, hopefully someone like G&G will become an agent for them. :angry:

Oh no doubt - in fact, I think most of the homebrew shops have wound up their AL contract, so the brewer wouldn't be telling AL where to stick it - they would be telling their HBS where to stick whatever alternative they've come up with. Brewcraft seem to be recommending Supagas, but the pricing still remains about that $140 a year or something.

Don't get me wrong, I really dislike the cylinder rental prices, but the original AL rep deserves a bit of kudos for striking the deal, it would have saved a lot of Melbourne brewers a lot of cash over the last couple of years.

I don't think Air Liquide should come under any specific fire for this contract coming to an end, they were doing us a bit of a favour after all - unless of course you take the view that brewers weren't made aware that the pricing was temporary, and were therefore 'lured' into buying a keg system by artificially low cylinder rental prices.

I couldn't say how many brewers might have that view, but I think most of us on AHB would have been aware of the temporary nature of the arrangement.

Oh no doubt - in fact, I think most of the homebrew shops have wound up their AL contract, so the brewer wouldn't be telling AL where to stick it - they would be telling their HBS where to stick whatever alternative they've come up with. Brewcraft seem to be recommending Supagas, but the pricing still remains about that $140 a year or something.

I told them to stick it.

AL through G&G - $129.50 p.a plus $43.50 a fill on a 9kg bottle.

Went to Supagas - $9 per month paid quarterly ($108 p.a.) plus $35.00 a fill on a 10kg bottle and free delivery.

That'll do for 12 months before buying my own. G&G didn't have a "my keg on legs" arrangement at the time i got mine.

Hey guys i dont think i paid enough attention when i got my bottle..

Im renting it from a BOC supplier paying by the month..

Does that mean i can cancel it whenever i want and just pay for the current month or am I locked in for a year?

I like the idea of kegonlegs!

Hey guys i dont think i paid enough attention when i got my bottle..

Im renting it from a BOC supplier paying by the month..

Does that mean i can cancel it whenever i want and just pay for the current month or am I locked in for a year?

I like the idea of kegonlegs!

Yes - Your contract is governed by the frequency of your payments. If you pay yearly & want to change after 6 months, you'll lose the 6 months rental.

cheers Ross

I told them to stick it.

AL through G&G - $129.50 p.a plus $43.50 a fill on a 9kg bottle.

Went to Supagas - $9 per month paid quarterly ($108 p.a.) plus $35.00 a fill on a 10kg bottle and free delivery.

That'll do for 12 months before buying my own. G&G didn't have a "my keg on legs" arrangement at the time i got mine.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have been looking for either a gas cylinder rental or extinguisher mob in Melb for maybe the last week. I emailed Supagas, and the response I got was the rental was $9 per quater, ie $36 per year. Have I been given some bung info here? :huh:
- Berwyck

Latest posts

Back