Cloudy pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't mix the polyclar anywhere near as long as most people say they do so maybe that had something to do with it. I got confused by it not dissolving.

I have been "sampling" the first batch for a while now so no chance of sediment there. I ran about a pint of the second batch as well. I guess time and gelatin will tell.

Lol. Reading the polyclar thread and realised that your supposed to add it to boiling water. Such a noob. No wonder it didnt work :D

nosco said:
Lol. Reading the polyclar thread and realised that your supposed to add it to boiling water. Such a noob. No wonder it didnt work :D
You are meant to hydrate it by mixing in warm water for 1 hours, but not boiling water. It will just turn into large PVPP balls if you add boiling water. Where did you see this advice?

I've read that advice too - maybe not boiling water, but it said to boil the water and mix the Polyclar into it for an hour. Can't remember where now either.

When I used it on my pilsner I weighed out the Polyclar in a pyrex jug, boiled some water in the kettle and tipped that into it, then put it on the stir plate for an hour. It didn't turn into large balls, perhaps because the water drops about 15 degrees when it gets tipped into the jug. Whatever the reasons, it worked brilliantly in my batch. The beer was clear as water.

Using cooled (warm) previously boiled water remakes sense. The boiling de-oxygenates the water so you won't introduce oxygen into your beer unnecessarily. I added Brebrite (which also contains PVPP) as a powder to my boiling wort once and it all clumped toagtether in one big ball and was consequently less effective.

It was at the start of the poly thread from about 8 years ago so maybe a bit out dated but I'm still a noob lol. I just used cooled water from the kettle which is why it didn't "mix in". Gelatin didn't do anything to clear up the Pilsner but it is tasting really good. Excellent head retention.

I haven't tried the 2nd keg that had polyclar and gelatin so I'll wait and see.

Black n Tan said:
I added Brebrite (which also contains PVPP) as a powder to my boiling wort once and it all clumped toagtether in one big ball and was consequently less effective.
:lol: I did this once myself, and once only, for exactly the same reason. Now I mix it up in water and whack it on the stir plate to mix it into a slurry. Much better. :)

Back