Cloudy Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I was coming through the tap but am now considering getting siphon to go out the top?

Cheers,
UNT

And while we are at it can someone please explain to me how gelatine in the keg slowly falls to the bottom taking all the crap with it and eventually clumps at the bottom and gets drawn up the dip tube.

Once this gunk has been removed beer is clear and happy days!

However, shaking the keg somehow makes it come back???

Sounds like a magic act?

Cheers,
UNT

UsernameTaken said:
And while we are at it can someone please explain to me how gelatine in the keg slowly falls to the bottom taking all the crap with it and eventually clumps at the bottom and gets drawn up the dip tube.

Sounds like a magic act?

Cheers,
UNT
Why would you shake your keg?

To try and perform the above mentioned magic trick ...

... but seriously they say any agitation, intentional or otherwise, will somehow bring back the gunk!

Cheers,
UNT

Drewski said:
Gelatin will work wonders, i follow the below guide. Should get the beer crystal clear after a day or two. First pint or two will be very cloudy.
Even my first pint's clear, I fill 2 kegs from a 60L fermenter filled to about 50L using a siphon, because I'm drawing from the top where it's nice and clear I'm not picking anything up.

The remainder at the bottom, that goes in bottles which I'll happily draw from the spigot.

UsernameTaken said:
Ok damoninja - I am sold on this process!

Chers,
UNT
This is after gelatin I might add, so the other guys are right if you may end up with a bit of scum (though minimal) in the bottom if you gelatin in the keg, or draw from the spigot.

I even naturally carbonate one sometimes both kegs, even the nat carbed one is clear about 1/3 of a pint in, like bottles clears up super duper quickly.
Bottles though after gelatin most are clear, a couple toward the end may have up 5-10mm of sediment since it's so close to the bottom.

Use an auto siphon and practice priming it a few times with just water so you get used to the motion without oxidising your wort. First problem I had when I first did it, bloody fermenter wasn't high enough, and 50L of liquid is a tad heavy to move, so I had to treat the siphon like a pump (which actually worked without introducing air).

Thanks damoninja,

I have just added the gelatin day one of the cold crash, so there it will sit for the next 6 days at 3c.

Meanwhile I am looking at the 1/2" versus the 3/8" auto siphon for siphoning from my 30 litre plastic fermenter to my 19 litre corny kegs?

Cheers,
UNT

UsernameTaken said:

Picture the gelatin-settled crud as forming a bed at the bottom of your keg. When you pour, the crud directly surrounding the diptube is dispensed, hence your cloudy first pour(s). The settled crud further away from the diptube opening is what gets disturbed if you shake/spank your keg, it'll then re-settle around your diptube and give you another cloudy pour.

I managed to avoid this (if I was planning on moving my keg) by allowing the gelatin to settle completely, and doing a keg transfer, leaving practically 100% of the settled crud in the original keg.

manticle said:
Because it's been naughty?
So that's why they roll Cooper's pale kegs... Silly Coopeeeer's

mtb said:
Picture the gelatin-settled crud as forming a bed at the bottom of your keg. When you pour, the crud directly surrounding the diptube is dispensed, hence your cloudy first pour(s). The settled crud further away from the diptube opening is what gets disturbed if you shake/spank your keg, it'll then re-settle around your diptube and give you another cloudy pour.

I managed to avoid this (if I was planning on moving my keg) by allowing the gelatin to settle completely, and doing a keg transfer, leaving practically 100% of the settled crud in the original keg.
Another benefit to my method, had a party in October and had to swap out 2 kegs through the night, only moved them about 15 metres but that's usually more than enough to scum up...

Dropped in to keezer, connected, poured clear without waiting to settle.

60% of the time it works every time.

Back