Cleaning scale from urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronix81

Reaction score
Stumbled across a 40 litre urn that I was hopping to use to double batch biab but it has some thick "limescale" looking build up on the base and starting to go up the sides. It flakes of in some areas but is pretty firmly stuck. I've given descaler from the supermarket a crack but it would send me broke diluting to correct ratio so that's out. From a search I've read about using pbw if you have it but also vinegar and citric acid. Does anyone have a sure fire method with quantities/dilution I can use. Cheers [emoji481][emoji481]

Stumbled across a 40 litre urn that I was hopping to use to double batch biab but it has some thick "limescale" looking build up on the base and starting to go up the sides. It flakes of in some areas but is pretty firmly stuck. I've given descaler from the supermarket a crack but it would send me broke diluting to correct ratio so that's out. From a search I've read about using pbw if you have it but also vinegar and citric acid. Does anyone have a sure fire method with quantities/dilution I can use. Cheers [emoji481][emoji481]
Can't help with ratio's but this stuff works. I believe it's citric acid.http://www.barkeepersfriend.com.au/bar-keepers-friend-cleanser-polish-powder-340g

Citric acid is what I use to clean my urn. I don't have any particular dilution rate though, I just dump in about 100g or so and put in a few litres of water. Then boil it, let it cool enough to touch, and use a stainless steel wool to scrub the shit off, though boiling does remove most of the scale. Comes up like new every time.

THE EASY WAY go to the local fruit market grab half a dozen or more lemons. Fill urn with water, dice lemons in 1/4s toss em in and bring to boil 30min should do it, if it still looks narky continue boil.

The reason I use citric acid in a few litres then scrub with the SS wool is so I don't waste 35 odd litres of water and a shitload of electricity bringing it all to a boil, when a bit of elbow grease for 5 minutes does the same job and costs me nothing.

I'll grab some citric acid and lemons this morning, if the citric is to much work haha I'll use the lemons and boil. If it isn't I'll be having fish and chips for tea with the lemons, win win

Latest posts

Back