Cleaning Keg Dip Tubes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drink til empty , then refill??

I'm confused or pissed... probably both.

If you tip boiling water in it with some Starsan, seal it up with the lid and shake the shiite out of it, it becomes somewhat pressurised. I have found that if I poke the beer out post centre, Starsan will come out of it.

I dont clean my kegs and just tell people its a regional characteristic in the beer :ph34r:

I find I dont have to strip mine down too often. normally a good hosing out, shake some pwb around for a few days then a rinse with the hose again and some star san and she's right. the old skool hose nozel also fits perfectly onto the poppet so you can spray it straight down the dip tube without needing to take it apart.

you can also buy a dip tubs cleaner from gryphon brewing if your that way inclined.

With the boiling water trick I shake the crap out of it and hook up the beer line and pump the cleaner/water out through the tap into a jug. Gets almost a whole kettle full through it just on its own pressure

Leave empty keg till needed - keg is full of C02? Yeah?

When needed - clean fill.

Jyo is hom.

Cheers!

Exactly how I do it, leave it full of CO2 and stored in the fridge. When needed a quick rinse and refill. If the beer was not infected in there, why should it suddenly change?

Yep I'm with Kev and Cocko on this one. I can't be stuffed mucking around when there is no need for it. Even though I have only had kegs for about 16 months now, I have never had an issue this way.

A tip that I found out by accident one day but can be pretty handy.

If you put a liquid disconnect on a keg that's around half full, with a few metres of beer line, then tip the keg sideways any liquid in that keg will start coming out of the line. Now if you keep the bottom of the tubing below the keg the liquid will still come out (same affect as siphoning basically).

It's a pretty handy way to ensure that you have a volume of cleaning fluid going out of your keg through the dip tube without needing to use pressure etc.

If you can have the keg high and drain it into a second keg the opposite way, even better. Cleaning the dip tubes of both kegs in one go.

You can walk away and forget about it too so pretty convenient.

If you put a liquid disconnect on a keg that's around half full, with a few metres of beer line, then tip the keg sideways any liquid in that keg will start coming out of the line. Now if you keep the bottom of the tubing below the keg the liquid will still come out (same affect as siphoning basically).

It's a pretty handy way to ensure that you have a volume of cleaning fluid going out of your keg through the dip tube without needing to use pressure etc.

If you can have the keg high and drain it into a second keg the opposite way, even better. Cleaning the dip tubes of both kegs in one go.

You can walk away and forget about it too so pretty convenient.

To build on this idea, you could start the syphon using Citymorgue2's trick with the hose by blasting water through the GAS in post.

Must try that :)

Means I shouldn't need to use c02 as part of my keg cleaning regime anymore

Back