Cleaning advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigtwist

Reaction score
Got 90 assorted longneck bottles off a bloke and I've just started cleaning them up there pretty dirty from sitting in his shed, so far I have soaked in the pink stuff then scrubbed labels off with scoured and gave insides a clean with bottle brush then I just rinsed with water and put on tree, now this is where I want some advice should I give them another clean with the pink stuff or just sanitize on bottling day with no rinse sanitizer? also if I do go with another pink stuff clean can I go from the pink stuff into a tub of no rinse sanitizer then bottle straight away ?

Happy drinking

You've only been drunk if you've shit ya self.............

I've been drunk twice

What were the insides like? Gunky from beer not poured out? Or just dusty?

If it's dirt and gunk the most important thing needed is a good scrub out. Sanitizer generally can't penetrate dirt so removing all gunk deposits is the #1 priority before sanitizers will work.

To be on the safe side id give them another hit with the bottle brush and soapy water to make sure they are 100% clean. Then more sanitizer couldn't hurt.

Yeah mainly dusty no gunk deposits hit them with the bottle brush and checked each bottle holding up to light,

Happy drinking

You've only been drunk if you've shit ya self.............

I've been drunk twice

If they look clean, you probably OK to sanitise. Having said that, another wash wouldn't hurt.

If any of my bottles look dodgy I just use a bottle brush with the handle cut off in a cordless drill to clean the inside

rinse in clean water then sanitise and bottle

niftinev said:
If any of my bottles look dodgy I just use a bottle brush with the handle cut off in a cordless drill to clean the inside

rinse in clean water then sanitise and bottle
+1

If that wont clean them then throw the bottle away

Bottles are clean and sparkling ready for bottling day. I plan on sanitizing with a no rinse sanitizer , is there anything wrong with doing this then bottling straight away with out letting the no rinse sanitizer dry off ?

No problem I fill a bucket with 10L of sanitiser fluid ( easier to measure the chemical amount ) then dunk 6 bottles at a time and then fill immediately never had a problem. No rinse means that you can just pour it out a fill with beer.

I have no science to base this on, but I fill a couple of bottles and leave them for a few minutes (while I fill other bottles that I have already sanitized). I figure that the sanitizer needs a bit of time to do it's thing.
But after that I just dump it back into a jug (to re-use the sanitizer in the next bunch of bottles), give it a quick shake (any more than three shakes and you're playing with yourself), then fill with beer.

I haven't been brewing for long, but so far there's been no issue.

My $0.02....

On my sanitizer thing bottle it says leave them for 10 minutes for best effect so that sounds right. Also does anyone use napisan for cleaning? I've heard a few people say it's good but don't know which napisan is the right one at the shop

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

jonnygreen22 said:
On my sanitizer thing bottle it says leave them for 10 minutes for best effect so that sounds right. Also does anyone use napisan for cleaning? I've heard a few people say it's good but don't know which napisan is the right one at the shop

Unscented and "unbullshitted" (i.e. no oxy action, just regular).

Ah right no oxy action. Got it thanks! I was looking for 'unscented' or something on them and couldn't see it.

Latest posts

Back