Cleaning A Moldy Filter Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill_gill85

Reaction score
Hi,

As the title suggests, I've been getting ready to filter my next brew & I've just found small black spots growing on my filter element. I was sure that the filter was dry when I put it away from its last use, but it may have had enough moisture in it for something to grow. Is there anything I can use that will kill off the mold in the filter or is the element stuffed? The filter element has only been used once prior to this, I don't want to have to buy a new one if I don't need to.

Thanks,

Ben

Hi,

As the title suggests, I've been getting ready to filter my next brew & I've just found small black spots growing on my filter element. I was sure that the filter was dry when I put it away from its last use, but it may have had enough moisture in it for something to grow. Is there anything I can use that will kill off the mold in the filter or is the element stuffed? The filter element has only been used once prior to this, I don't want to have to buy a new one if I don't need to.

Thanks,

Ben

what's the element made of, you might just be able to soak it in bleach or some dis-infectant

Aaron

what's the element made of, you might just be able to soak it in bleach or some dis-infectant

Aaron

It's a pleated filter, listed as PET on the craftbrewer website. I've got it soaking in miltons at the moment (chlorine based sanitiser), but I'll need to flush with lots of water before filtering the beer.

Cheers

It's a pleated filter, listed as PET on the craftbrewer website. I've got it soaking in miltons at the moment (chlorine based sanitiser), but I'll need to flush with lots of water before filtering the beer.

Cheers
Good luck, Its not an nice place to be. I would be cautions about any chlorine based products around the brewery particularly in a filter. I filter then nappisan ,flush really well and dry, even if its by the fire place, moisture is not your friend, any moisture and its on its way to black mould.You have got to be anal here and at this time of the year.
GB

I used to soak mine in a 20:1 bleach solution for a few days, then rinse with fresh water nd leave out to dry. You can bleach them (weak 20:1 solution).

No plain old Woolies 3.7g/L Sodium Hypochlorite, 250ml in 5L.

Screwy

I do the same with Aldi's bleach, I've done it for a couple of years.

Batz

nappisan should fix up the mold. HOT nappisan!! soak overnight or longer. Rinse well.

Solved the problem for me a couple of years ago.

Back