Classy Party Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry to hijack but I didnt want to start another thread for such a simple question and its kinda relevent:

Does Kmart/bigW still refill the older style soda stream bottles like this one?

386b_1_b.JPG

:beer:
Goodnews Finite they will swap the older style cylinder for the new ones at no extra charge just dont mention home brew.
Cheers Altstart

sorry to hijack but I didnt want to start another thread for such a simple question and its kinda relevent:

386b_1_b.JPG

Hey Finite
Big W will swap those older soda stream cylinders over for the new ones. My local K-Mart didn't take an older cylinder as a swap on New Years Eve - had to go to Big W as needed to have gas for my party keg set up for New Years celebrations.
cheers
HStB

Hey Finite
Big W will swap those older soda stream cylinders over for the new ones. cheers
HStB

A fellow brewer may be happy to do a swap with a new one. I would if you were in Perth. Those older ones are getting hard to find, and if you happen to be filling them yourself, they are much more suited than the new ones, as they have the bleed valve on them to chill the bottle down.

386b_1_b.JPG

Yep, Big W are the only ones that will swap the old bottles, unless you are lucky & get someone new at the exchange desk.

cheers Ross

Hi Wortgames,
I know this is probably not exactly what you are looking for but, since you are looking for a classy way to serve your craft brew, have you thought about bottling and corking half a dozen in champagne bottles. I reckon the classiest way to present and serve beer (particularly amongst wine drinkers) is with a cork in the top. Why not take along a nice 750ml Duvel with a cork in it; because it is a little different it will be somewhat distinctive and can come across as very tasteful. Also serving the beer in stemmed glassware really looks the goods (again wine drinkers will appreciate your taste). I think that kegging the beer, no matter how you dress it up, might not come across the way you want it to.

Maybe worth thinking about and much cheaper than setting up a kegged unit.

Great call SPS. I ran out of normal 750ml bottles last time I bottled and had to rummage around in the recycling bin for alternatives. Out came three champagne bottles and their corks (complete with wire!)

The effect of loosening the wire, then popping the cork (even on my humble Hefe) was quite satisfying and even got my GF's attention for more than three seconds (doesn't often happen around beer).

Kegs certainly impress the mates, not sure about the inlaws though :(

I agree, champagne bottles are a great way to present homebrew - I used to use them all the time, both as my main bottle supply and for special occasions (I was working in a hotel on NYE 2000, and scored about 200 posh champagne bottles in crates from the loading dock, nice thick dark ones too :p).

I've corked a couple of plambics, although I just used wine corks and crown seals. Proper champagne closures would look awesome. Truth is though, I just can't be bothered bottling any more ;)

Most of what I'm serving at the moment isn't all that special anyway. I haven't done an AG brew in a while, I'm mostly just keeping supplies up with some double extract kits, which I really don't think I could bring myself to cork with a straight face! They're drinkable though and thanks to my new filter (cheers Ross) they look pretty respectable too.

I've nutted out a rough design, I'm thinking something like this:

wortgames_classy_keg_thing.jpg

in kind of a mahogany-and-brass look. Hopefully I'll be able to find some fancy brass hinges and a posh handle for the top, and a brass driptray and celli tap would look the ducks nuts I reckon. I think the old boys would appreciate the novelty, and I don't think it would offend anyone.

On the front, I'll rout out a groove so that I can slide a front panel in for travelling. Inside, I'm just planning to seal the keg compartment really well with epoxy, so that I can get a bit of ice in there (but probably not much). I might even be able to do something clever like let the ice drain out into the driptray...

SPS / Bugwan / Wortgames

I'll pitch in a vote for champagne bottles as well. Although they are a bit OT in this thread, they are classy.

Here's a pic of how I dressed up a few bottles of Hefe to use as Xmas party beer and cheap presents. Bit of alfoil, some left over ribbon from present wrapping and a little gold coloured dovalackey that I found in the wife's sewing kit. hit it with the glue stick and bingo.... classy homebrew.

champagnebottledHefe.jpg

I have a champagne sized bell fo rmy bench capper and crown seal them instead of mucking about with corks. Mind you, corks would be even classier !! I don't even have any normal 750ml bottles anymore!! Of course I usually keg and just bottle what won't fit in the keg and Hefes.

Thirsty

---- Ah while I was fartign around with photos, wortgames has posted his solution. Looks good. Can't wait to see the final product.

looks good mate im looking forward to see how it goes

<snip>

I've nutted out a rough design, I'm thinking something like this:

View attachment 10935

in kind of a mahogany-and-brass look. Hopefully I'll be able to find some fancy brass hinges and a posh handle for the top, and a brass driptray and celli tap would look the ducks nuts I reckon. I think the old boys would appreciate the novelty, and I don't think it would offend anyone.

On the front, I'll rout out a groove so that I can slide a front panel in for travelling. Inside, I'm just planning to seal the keg compartment really well with epoxy, so that I can get a bit of ice in there (but probably not much). I might even be able to do something clever like let the ice drain out into the driptray...

You could trim it in leather & add some straps & buckles. Sort of a fancy luggage look.

I think the brass is a good idea, if done right you could even make it look "Nautical".

The only thing I'd be concerned about is making sure the clips, handle and hinges etc are all OK supporting the weight. I'd make the handle fairly thick too, beer is heavy stuff.

looks good mate im looking forward to see how it goes
Don't hold your breath!

I might look around and see if there's anything already available in about the right dimensions, maybe a Balinese type chest or something. Otherwise it's going to mean a few weekends of sawdust and skinned knuckles no doubt! It would be an interesting project but I'm not sure I want to leap into it just yet.

I'll keep an eye out for a roadcase of about the right dimensions too, as I could pretty much cobble that together for free with bits I've got lying around - so even if I go ahead with the timber one it couldn't hurt to have a temporary solution. It won't be quite as elegant, but it should still look OK I hope.

The leather and buckles is definitely an option Velo, and it raises a good point - it might be easier to make the case out of cheap materials then cover it rather than use expensive timber and expose the workmanship. Come to think of it, I could even do something radical like paint it with silver hammered finish paint...

mmm, silver hammered finish paint...

The only thing I'd be concerned about is making sure the clips, handle and hinges etc are all OK supporting the weight. I'd make the handle fairly thick too, beer is heavy stuff.

you're not wrong! There's going to be a fair bit of weight in this when it's full - I reckon it would probably weigh about 25Kg all up!

I think I've found a reasonable compromise. I've managed to acquire a roadcase of 'about' the right dimensions - it's not perfect but it's close. It's a ply case with an external fibreglass coating, and a removable lid. After pulling all the internals out it looks like this:

105_0539.jpg 105_0543.jpg

It's probably about 10cm taller and a few cm less deep than ideal (when upright), although this combination means I can mount the tap above the shoulder of the keg (and still have room for the handle) - and therefore not need quite as much depth to clear the fittings at the rear of the tap. The space above the keg should be handy for losing some excess beer line and I could probably make a little storage compartment for odds and ends like a cloth and maybe even some glasses.

The good thing is that it has a handle on each end (which means there's already one on top for when I use it upright) and having the catches at the sides means that if I put some rubber feet on it, it will be nice and easy to stand it on a surface then remove the 'lid'.

Externally, there are only some minor chips, and a few paint marks etc that really don't want to come out of the knobbly finish without major abrasion. I'm not sure about the colour anyway...

105_0541.jpg 105_0540.jpg

...so the silver hammer-finish idea has got me. I've used gallons of the stuff recently - my trailer, my van wheels, my 2-way keg fridge and my 6-way converted freezer are all finished in it. So it kind of seems logical to keep going with the theme...

As an experiment, I've cleaned and painted a bit of the case, and I'll give it a couple of days to harden then give it a bash and see how happy it is on the fibreglass. But the initial results look pretty good:

105_0545.jpg 105_0546.jpg

So if the paint holds on, I'll drill out the fittings, give the case and the aluminium edging a good going over with an abrasive brush wheel, paint the case and reattach the fittings (maybe even replace them with shiny new ones if the thing comes up looking schmick enough).

Then it shouldn't be too difficult to line it with some closed cell foam and fit a front panel (finished in the same paint of course) and knock up a driptray of some description.

It's not quite the ornate nautical timber chest look, but I reckon it still might look OK. Hopefully a bit better than an esky anyway.

I'd love to get a Celli (the flow control would be ideal) but I don't think I could pull off the gold with this colour scheme, so I might just stick with a black plastic tap I picked up ages ago (at least until Ross gets some chrome Cellis...)

So what do you reckon? Hit or sh!t?

Also, I'll be relying on a foam jacket and the ply case to keep the keg cold - is this doomed for failure?

Are you going to fill it with Ice or just use foam to keep it at the temp that it comes out of the fridge at.??

I don't think I'll be able to use ice with this, it will be too leaky when standing upright.

I'll hopefully knock up a bit of a wetsuit sleeve for the keg, but I think I'll be relying on the mass of the keg and the foam insulation to hold itself at a suitable temp.

Having said that, I might be able to fit some blue Esky blocks in that top compartment - maybe I'll use a bit of aluminium as a divider and pack it with frozen blocks before use. Won't be as good as ice but it can't hurt. I could even attach the beer line to the underside of the ali plate as a bit of a final chill...

A couple of gel packs will keep it cold without the worry of melting ice.
I've got a 2 tone Celli here somewhere, i'll have to see if i can find it & send you a pic :)

Cheers Ross

A couple of gel packs will keep it cold without the worry of melting ice.
I've got a 2 tone Celli here somewhere, i'll have to see if i can find it & send you a pic :)
Cheers Ross
Sweet, I'd like to see that. Do Celli not make them in all-silver or is it just not worth getting them in?

I might try and get hold of some 'techni-ice' - it's supposed to be the duck's nuts...

Funny thing is, I was looking at various wooden chests on eBay last night to see what might be around, and I saw a nice old Aussie timber ice chest - with the ice compartment up the top and shelves underneath - and didn't even put 2+2 together until just now!
:super:

They make all colours, but this was a job clearence lot & hence the low, low price. Once they are gone i'm very unlikely to stock again...

cheers Ross

I might try and get hold of some 'techni-ice' - it's supposed to be the duck's nuts...

Just ensure that you get the 4ply techni-ice, I use the cheaper 2ply to ship yeast.

A few words on its use, it is only as good as your freezer, a houshold freezer should drop to -18*C, this will do most applications, it will however take a few days for the core of the techni-ice to reach the depths of -18*C. Because it looses its coolness slowly you need to be mindful that unlike ice/ice water slurry the contact with the keg will not be as good hence it is great for keeping an already cold keg, cold but not so good for chilling it down in a hurry because you dont get the same amount of surface area contact. If you want to give an old fridge a bit of a flogging, (for instance when your crash chilling fermeted wort in the fridge to -1*C you will notice you freezer section migh drop down as well, I have had my freezer section down to about -28*C

Latest posts

Back