Cider Brew Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luxy

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Just a quickie....

Just putting down a batch of Cider Draught soon.
Using a William Tell kit, and the sachets included in it are a yeast, as well as a little plastic bag with 'Sweetener' and one of 'DAP'....
These 2 have the name written on in black texta, so I think they were substituded for the original ingredients to give a better taste???
Last time I think I just used the sweetener and left it as that.
Both the same ingredients are in the Draught version and the Sweet version.
Is the sweetener for Sweet cider, and the "DAP" for draught????
It doesnt say anything about the DAP sachet on the back of the can for the ingredients.
I buy all my gear from a dedicated homebrew shop, but forgot to ask when I was there buying the ingredients last month.

Thanks!
Phil

Hi guys!
Just a quickie....

Just putting down a batch of Cider Draught soon.
Using a William Tell kit, and the sachets included in it are a yeast, as well as a little plastic bag with 'Sweetener' and one of 'DAP'....
These 2 have the name written on in black texta, so I think they were substituded for the original ingredients to give a better taste???
Last time I think I just used the sweetener and left it as that.
Both the same ingredients are in the Draught version and the Sweet version.
It doesnt say anything about the DAP sachet on the back of the can for the ingredients.
I buy all my gear from a dedicated homebrew shop, but forgot to ask when I was there buying the ingredients last month.

Thanks!
Phil

Hey Luxy,

When I've done tins of cider there has been nutrient and the yeast. Perhaps the extra sachets could be glucose for sweetening and the nutrient?

Cheers,

InCider.

PS. Are you trying to get your post count up? :icon_cheers:

Hi guys!
Just a quickie....

Thanks!
Phil

The DAP is Diammonium Phosphate an often used yeast nutrient, it supplies trace elements not found in your apple wort. It is often used by those making strong sugar worts for stilling :) Cheerz Wab

Thanks guys, I will use them all this time then! ;)

Im also putting down in the other barrel, a German Pilsner clone for something different too.
1 can of Bacchus & Barley Pilsner
500grams of light dried malt extract
500grams of Maltodextrin (dried corn syrup)
and 15g Saaz Hops.

Should be good to see how that comes out!

InCider, yep, gotta bump up the post count!! Look at this... 2 posts in the one day!
That now doubles my total posts since I started here in 2005! :lol:

Ok, all done and ready for them to do there magic in the barrels! :D

The cider has a reading of 1034
(15ltrs, yeast pitched at about 27 degrees)

and the Pilsner a reading of 1044...
(21ltrs, yeast pitched at about 24 degrees)

Now the wait begins...

Ok, all done and ready for them to do there magic in the barrels! :D

The cider has a reading of 1034
(15ltrs, yeast pitched at about 27 degrees)

and the Pilsner a reading of 1044...
(21ltrs, yeast pitched at about 24 degrees)

Now the wait begins...

I currently have two different ciders brewing here at the moment and my only suggestion would be Drop your ferment temps

I brew mine at somewhere between 18 and 21 and have had some fantastic results so far. they can however take up to 4 weeks to ferment which is a PITA if it only takes a week and a half to drink.

Note to self get more fermenters and fridges. :icon_offtopic:

Cheers FROGMAN...

While they are fermenting, the temp is somewhere between 16-20 anyway, it was just the initial pitching of the yeast temperature is why it was high.
Is this ok? or should I be adding the yeast nearer to what the ferment temp will be.

Thanks for the suggestions too! It all helps! :D

i hope you left the saccharine sweetener packet out
unless you like the taste of diet-coke

Put this down last night.

1 can blackrock
7.2 ltrs apple/pear juice
1 cup chopped sultanas
200grams light malt extract
600grams asian brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
4 cloves

23liters - OG somewhere around the 1050 mark .. though I really thought that it would be a lot higher than that .. assuming however a FG of around 1000, then I guess that gives me around 6.5% ABV

I'll probably keg off some and backsweeten, and bottle the remainder and keep it dry, some sparkling and some not.

Latest posts

Back