Cider Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My blackrock tin did not have anything other than yeast under the lid. I do remember reading on the front of the label that the ingredients was 100% Apples though.

My blackrock tin did not have anything other than yeast under the lid. I do remember reading on the front of the label that the ingredients was 100% Apples though.

From memory that's what mine said too. I didn't read the fine print though and most manufacturers can't resist putting muck of some form or another in their produce.

I'll do a hydrometer reading tonight. I really want to leave it for quite a while but it's just so tasty looking and I'm sure I heard the airlock burp that I should substitute the keg with my belly. I'll leave it for at least another week. :icon_cheers:

Hey Fellas

I brew a few ciders, however the ciders i brew are to dry for the mrs and she has to mix 20% applejuice to my brew to make it sweet and drinkable

I usually use a Blackrock kit or a brigalow kit (cheap and nasssttyy)

2L of Apple Juice, I prefer cloudy for some reason.. doesnt come out nice and clear though.
1.5kg of raw sugar.

Ferment 2weeks
Rack for a 3-4days
bottle

Anyways i was reading lastnight about Oztops i have looked at them in the brew shop and really starting to think ill try it... only thing that is putting me off is it says.
After two days you can chill it (stop fermentation) and then 24hours later test it, if its too sweet warm it back up to 20-24deg and it will continue fermenting. then chill again and test.

I can see a bonus to this, i can brew a couple of ciders without using my fermenter.
I can pop one in the fridge early to make it sweet
and another later to make it dry.

However
I was told and this is the bit that worries me all the yeast within it, and as i got towards the bottom i will drink it and it will warm up in my belly and it will continue to ferment in my stomach? is this just a myth?

It'll need another week in the fermenter. Wait till your final gravity is down to about 1.010. It will also dry out flavourwise by then.
From my experience with this yeast it does slow down dramatically after a week but don't be fooled (Ignore the air lock it is probably still fermenting away)
My guess it your gravity is still around about the 1.020 mark.
One more week and it should be right.

Are we 100% certain the black rock tin contains no artificial sweeteners?

From memory,I'm pretty sure that the ingredients are apple juice concentrate and yeast for the black rock cider. I think that the brigalow kit has artificial sweeteners in it.

Most of the apple juice bought in stores is made up from apple juice concentrate. I think the juice that doesn't is called pure and is normally cloudy. Although I have seen filtered pure apple juice.

I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned OzTops.
Make nice small quantities (i make 2Lt at a time) of cider with nothing but apple juice and champaign yeast.
Ferments in a PET softdrink bottle.
Tastes fantastic!!

I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned OzTops.
Make nice small quantities (i make 2Lt at a time) of cider with nothing but apple juice and champaign yeast.
Ferments in a PET softdrink bottle.
Tastes fantastic!!

Post 43 i mentioned something about oztops but noone replied about it

dunno about that, will read the bottle next time i am near one.

I have an apple tree that noone can identify. From the history of the place its likely to be more than 70 years old (up to maybe 100) and is a variety that isnt grown commercially. I am suspecting its an old english variety and more suited to juicing for cider than the 2 granny smiths.

Anyone know how to identify apples? and if some of the apples have codlin moths in them can i cut them out and still use the juice? I would treat thejuice first with sodium or potassium metabisulphite to kill off the wild yeast and then whack in the wyeast cider.

My all juice cider with the cider yeast started off beautifully but is slowly turning to a wine? I think its the lemons i added. Its not real dry tho, it finished at 1.010 but next time i will leave out all the additions and go straight juice and the yeast. I tasted the cider Tangent made this way and its was nice and way too easy to drink!

Cheers
DrSmurto

p.s. FWIW i tried a mates cider he made using a tin of goop. He subbed 3L of water for apple juice and its not too bad at all. Might have been the fact i have spent nearly 5 hours on the golf course sweating my arse off but it hit the spot.

What is thr rub on the moth issue please anyone?
I have 2 trees of apples I suspect are good for cider but every crop has moths.( plus heaps of other neglected trees about the neighbour hood begging to be cidered.) Can I just juice 'em, or will bits of bugs cause food poisoning or something?

Latest posts

Back